Fermenting under pressure without a spunding valve

If you are concerned, just rack it to another keg. Don't suck off the bottom

I'm currently fermenting ~4 gallons of Golden ale with an OG of 1.047. It's currently at 1.017, it likely has another 5-10 gravity points to go. It's in a corny keg with the PRV removed for gas release.

What would happen if I put the PRV back on today? Would the last bit of attenuation cause pressure issues for the batch? If I remember correctly, the standard pressure for a keg PRV is way above typical spunding pressures, so I don't think it would harm the keg at all.

The keg is currently at 65F and I'll keep it there for several more days, maybe a week, to condition before lowering the temp steadily over a few days. Just curious about adding pressure at this stage in the ferment. Thanks!
I didnt read your first post until now sunfire.
You know keg king over here have releases these nifty lower pressure PRV valves to do exactly what your wanting to do.
Their coloured green and blue I think one of them is a 15psi one and the other 10.
You might find something similar over there just another option for you.

Oh no purple is 15psi
Here is a link to KKing

https://www.keg-king.com.au/15psi-purple-prv.html

You know keg king over here have releases these nifty lower pressure PRV valves to do exactly what your wanting to do.
Their coloured green and blue I think one of them is a 15psi one and the other 10.

Oh no purple is 15psi
Here is a link to KKing

Thanks Ben. I was looking at those the other day and I don't think they ship outside of Aus :(

Thanks Ben. I was looking at those the other day and I don't think they ship outside of Aus :(
Dam was hoping they had a supplier in US.
I see Kegland send their goods over there...
Surely someone in the US will make em unless there is a safety standard thing that prevents it.
Anyhow their like 5$ cant beat that I rekon
Why dont I have any :oops:...

Oh no purple is 15psi
Here is a link to KKing

that is pretty dang cool,
but for like $15 more you can get a spunding valve :oops:

that is pretty dang cool,
but for like $15 more you can get a spunding valve :oops:
Yeah you can but I think their simpler in design cheaper too.

And they don't leak like the spunding valves sometimes do.

Last edited:
One thing i might add as a big negative for the PRV would be make sure you've got plenty of krausen headspace if fermenting from beginning under pressure.
You dont want the krausen clogging up the PRV.

I'd use them more like an end of fermentation spunding like option.
Keep the spunding valves for full pressure fermentation that way you got the PRV as a fail safe back up.

One thing i might add as a big negative for the PRV would be make sure you've got plenty of krausen headspace if fermenting from beginning under pressure.
You dont want the krausen clogging up the PRV.

I'd use them more like an end of fermentation spunding like option.
Keep the spunding valves for full pressure fermentation that way you got the PRV as a fail safe back up.
I didn't add the PRV until 2-3 gravity points were left in fermentation

Back