Fermenting in Stainless Steel with no sight glass?

And get one of those slings. I started using the wheelbarrow to move my full jugs into the cellar and count the sloshing around as additional aeration to help the yeast!! Look in the DIY thread to see the stability collar I made to keep things in place.
A full 5 gallon glass carboy would be a bitch. That might be as bad or worse than carrying my kettle to the side of my house where the hose and wort chiller are usually set up. Once is enough for a brew day.

I use a speidel fermenter. Real happy with it. Got a cheap bucket fermenter (not so happy), a no brand, but very popular hdpe screw top fermenter (think sauerkraut vessel), and a stainless milk bucket, no spigot, fermenter.
I basically trust the yeast to do the job. Put fermenter in temp controlled fridge or uncontrolled cooler box and let it go.
I hardly ever check ;)

Ouch! I'm sorry that happened. It does say you can carry by the handle as long as you support from the bottom. I didn't realize it would break the neck though. The supply house I bought it from didn't include that safety precaution in the description.

I have used these handles as well for years. I always use them to lift and hold onto the carboy when cleaning. If I am carrying a full carboy, I always support the weight on the bottom. Maybe I have been lucky. I dropped one once and it cracked my fiberglass sink which I had to replace, but the glass did not break. I do have a big mouth bubbler now and I do like that as well as the FastFerment plastic conical fermenter. They are much easier to move around.

Also, they make straps for the glass carboys. I prefer those to the handle around the neck, especially for moving full carboys.

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/northern-brewer-universal-harness-for-big-mouth-bubbler

I have that exact fermenter (different brand, but same item). Don't really see the need for a sight glass. You can tell fermentation by the air lock. You can check the product with the spigot on the bottom.

Advantages out weigh being able to see it. Easier to clean, light tight, so no skunking. You can modify them for great an cool as well

I use the spigot, too. A small medicine cup and a teaspoonful will tell you a lot about your brew. I address clarity when steeping grains and in the boil pot. I chill my steeped grains overnight and pour off the clear fraction and throw the junk at the bottom out. Irish Moss works well in the boil. And then there are those few brews that just don't get clear but drink just fine. I tell folks they are hazy like it was the plan all along and have gotten away with it so far.

I use the spigot, too. A small medicine cup and a teaspoonful will tell you a lot about your brew. I address clarity when steeping grains and in the boil pot. I chill my steeped grains overnight and pour off the clear fraction and throw the junk at the bottom out. Irish Moss works well in the boil. And then there are those few brews that just don't get clear but drink just fine. I tell folks they are hazy like it was the plan all along and have gotten away with it so far.
I wouldn't do that. Any wild yeast or bacteria gets in there and you will have a sour beer or a dumper.
Just whirlpool, cold crash and/or use fining agents and most beers will clear. (Those that are meant to)

I wouldn't do that. Any wild yeast or bacteria gets in there and you will have a sour beer or a dumper.
Just whirlpool, cold crash and/or use fining agents and most beers will clear. (Those that are meant to)

I use the "chill and pour off the clear wort" before the boil. Its the poor mans laudering and has greatly improved my brew as I venture into larger partial mash attempts. You're right about trying to do this after the boil in that it would be asking for trouble.

I use the "chill and pour off the clear wort" before the boil. Its the poor mans laudering and has greatly improved my brew as I venture into larger partial mash attempts. You're right about trying to do this after the boil in that it would be asking for trouble.
Even before the boil, depending on how much time you wait. A few hours won't matter, but over night and you might end up with a kettle sour.

As long as you are careful and keep it covered it will prolly be ok

Back