Fermenting in Stainless Steel with no sight glass?

coreyman

Premium Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love my 6 gallon glass carboy, but I don't have a brew supply house anywhere near me anymore. They are cost prohibitive to order online, the shipping pushes them past $100ea. I might as well go stainless! I was looking at the 'sovereign' from northern brewer
upload_2023-4-4_12-20-17.png

but this guy doesn't seem to have a sight glass on it at all. For me, it seems very important to have visibility into the container without opening it so I can check the fermentation action and not least the clarity. If you are already brewing with a stainless fermenter, how do you check clarity and fermentation without a sight glass? Are there other brands that do have a sight glass?

I have that exact fermenter (different brand, but same item). Don't really see the need for a sight glass. You can tell fermentation by the air lock. You can check the product with the spigot on the bottom.

Advantages out weigh being able to see it. Easier to clean, light tight, so no skunking. You can modify them for great an cool as well

I have that exact fermenter (different brand, but same item). Don't really see the need for a sight glass. You can tell fermentation by the air lock. You can check the product with the spigot on the bottom.

Advantages out weigh being able to see it. Easier to clean, light tight, so no skunking. You can modify them for great an cool as well

Yeah but you have to waste product to send it out the spigot :D. I've had some beers that never would clear up after months and I had to use gelatin to finish clarifying. With as many times as I checked that thing throughout the few months I probably would have wasted an entire gallon of product.

What brand is yours that is the same build? I didn't really want to advertise for Northern Brewer.

Yeah but you have to waste product to send it out the spigot :D. I've had some beers that never would clear up after months and I had to use gelatin to finish clarifying. With as many times as I checked that thing throughout the few months I probably would have wasted an entire gallon of product.

What brand is yours that is the same build? I didn't really want to advertise for Northern Brewer.
I don't waste it, lol. I drink it. Good to know what your fermentation is doing

Klarstien

Yeah I havnt seen a fermentation in a couple of years.
Ferment in a kegmenter.

There is alot of ways to tell fermentation is done without looking into the fermenter and pulling samples :).

Usually the temp controller will tell me things are near done as I don't here it cycling for cooling glycol as much.
Also the blow off tube bubbles slow down on recieving keg.

And once bumping the temp for a couple of days and taking a gravity sample things are normally a FG.

I wouldn't bother checking progress repeatedly, but if you must just increase your batch size slightly to allow for your quality control checks. I love it when a beer comes out nice ind clear, if it is the intention, but I also don't sweat it if it doesn't clear up as hoped.

You can't get a plastic Fermonster? Found one on Amazon for $36 with free shipping if you have Prime.

I wouldn't bother checking progress repeatedly, but if you must just increase your batch size slightly to allow for your quality control checks. I love it when a beer comes out nice ind clear, if it is the intention, but I also don't sweat it if it doesn't clear up as hoped.

Thanks! I usually don't care if it's just for me but I was doing that specific one for an event.
Yeah I havnt seen a fermentation in a couple of years.
Ferment in a kegmenter.

There is alot of ways to tell fermentation is done without looking into the fermenter and pulling samples :).

Usually the temp controller will tell me things are near done as I don't here it cycling for cooling glycol as much.
Also the blow off tube bubbles slow down on recieving keg.

And once bumping the temp for a couple of days and taking a gravity sample things are normally a FG.

I currently do not have anything fancy for my fermenter, and I usually ferment at room temp so I'm not over here cycling glycol. I've seen my gravity be "stuck" for a while and then eventually get to where I want it with hardly any noticeable bubbles. Looks like I may want to invest in some technology if I'm doing stainless for peace of mind.

Thanks! I usually don't care if it's just for me but I was doing that specific one for an event.

I currently do not have anything fancy for my fermenter, and I usually ferment at room temp so I'm not over here cycling glycol. I've seen my gravity be "stuck" for a while and then eventually get to where I want it with hardly any noticeable bubbles. Looks like I may want to invest in some technology if I'm doing stainless for peace of mind.
Na you don't need glycol controlled fermentation mate that my F up not measuring my freezer to see if a kegmenter would fit two different keg sizes lol.

I think when it comes to stainless it's just more robust you can dump boiling wort in it to no chill.
They hold an extrodianry amount of pressure.
They are easy to clean bacterial resistant less porous all around I love stainless.

I see that tap on yours as an Infection potential so make sure to dismantle that every so often to clean the crud out.
Man i freek out every time I clean my 2 piece ball valve out usually some brown slime has built up somewhereo_O.

Clarity can me tricky to master finnings sure get you across the line geletin - biofine clear - yeast choice and grist make up play big rolls I've found.

Lesser so weather you chill it fast or not.
How long you boil
And how much crap you transfer over to the fermenter which that particulate can help in floculation :).

Main thing keep brewing keep learning keep having fun with it.

Ok guys I'll go stainless on my next fermenter you convinced me :)

Now I have to convince my wife I need it along with a new refractometer and/or smart air lock!
Or just the fermenter... the yeast are quite happy to go about their business without your involvement. Just do a gravity check after a couple or three weeks. If you're bottling, check it a second time 3 days later. If there is no change, bottle it up!

Ok guys I'll go stainless on my next fermenter you convinced me :)

Now I have to convince my wife I need it along with a new refractometer and/or smart air lock!
..or a Tilt.

I have been fermenting in stainless for years, using airlock activity until 2 years ago when I got a tilt. Set up a Pi Zero to relay the details to the Interweb and have not looked back.

..or a Tilt.

I have been fermenting in stainless for years, using airlock activity until 2 years ago when I got a tilt. Set up a Pi Zero to relay the details to the Interweb and have not looked back.
Been using that setup for 2-3 years as well. Never a question if it is done

You can't get a plastic Fermonster? Found one on Amazon for $36 with free shipping if you have Prime.

I hated a lot of things about the plastic buckets I used to ferment in. I don't know why I would like a plastic fermonster. I'll give it a whirl for only $36 (Although that's how much I paid for my glass carboy. Inflation amirite?)

I use one. They are light, they are easy to clean, and you can see the fermentation.
The only issue I have ever had was putting the top on too tight. They are a bitch to get off if you screw them on really tight. Other than that, they work really well.
One other thing: Put the plastic gasket on first, and have the top level and in place before you drain the kettle. A funnel fits very nicely in the opening after the lid is on. Make sure you buy a bung for the opening in the lid.

Last edited:
The other thing I like about those is that they fit upside down in a bucket. You can keep sanitizer in the fermenter for a couple of days, empty the sanitizer into a bucket for brew day, and place the fermenter upside down in the bucket to make sure the opening stays sanitized. I go a little overboard sanitizing the fermenter.

I have about 75 PET Fermentors and carboys in rotation. After starting with glass, I'd never go back.
Lightweight and easy to clean. And, they bounce!
The only downfall is they melt if left by an open burner or if you pour boiling water into them.
Also, because they are non permeable, to can use them for beer and wine, going back and forth is no issue as they don't pick-up or carry any smells after cleaning.
Some of the carboys I have in rotation have had product in and out of them for years!

Last edited:

Back