fermentation dropped 40pts?

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,i did a brew yesterday that had og of .59.
final gravity should be .13
i pitched safale33 fermentis yeast from sachet.
i did a hydrometer check now and it reads .20
thats almost 40 points in 24hrs,is that reasonable?
thanks for any advice

If you pitched the whole pack into 10 liters, it's possible. Primary fermentation wrapping up after 1-2 days is not uncommon with an appropriate pitching rate and active strain of yeast.

If you pitched the whole pack into 10 liters, it's possible. Primary fermentation wrapping up after 1-2 days is not uncommon with an appropriate pitching rate and active strain of yeast.
i pitched half the pack,about 6grams.
my temp is also quite high,last night the bucket was showing 27degcelcius

Half the pack into 10 liters seems like a good rate based on the package info. 27C (80F) is definitely hot, and probably contributed to your over active yeasts (manufacturer recommends under 77F, ideally 68F). It'll be beer, but it might taste/smell more estery than expected. But I'm not familiar with this yeast, so maybe that's what you're going for :)
If it were me, I'd leave it until it drops bright, and then take an FG and go from there. Let the yeast cleanup whatever they released in the high temperatures.

cool,ill check it tomorrow and give a update,thank you

Yes, definitely possible and even likely with that yeast. It tends to go insane for the first 24 hours and then stall. If you want it to finish well and fairly quickly, give it a swirl a couple of times a day for the next couple of days and maybe throw in a little honey or sugar to keep it interested. I tends to flocculate quickly and all drop out of suspension so keeping it roused and active makes a huge difference.

Back