Feedback on Kolsch

Might just pick up sone Kolsch malt and spalt hops
Tettnanger is a go-to hop, as well. I suppose Kolsch Malt might be nice but I've just used Pilsner. I think I'm going to pull a decoction for my next batch.

Tettnanger is a go-to hop, as well. I suppose Kolsch Malt might be nice but I've just used Pilsner. I think I'm going to pull a decoction for my next batch.
I've always just used Pilsner as well, thinking of mixing a bit of Pale Ale in next time to up the maltiness. Never tried Kolsch malt.... Any of the traditional "Noble" hops should work well in it. Sometimes I go "wacky" with my Kolsch and ferment part of it with Hefeweizen yeast - makes an interesting brew!

I've been reading around a bit on this style and it seems just Pilsner malt in a traditional Kolsch type beer. If any specialty malt keep below 5% Vienna and wheat may be used. Low hops .40 - .6 bu/gu. Ferment cool to keep the esters and fruitiness low some sulphur is ok as well as fruitiness but keep it to a minimum. Larger near freezing for at least a month to help clear it up. That's what I sourced from round the brew forums.

I'm with you there JA a decoction wouldn't hurt especially if just using a single Pilsner base malt to give extra body.

Reactions: J A
It would be nice if i could find a good example here in the states. I tried left hands and it was not what i was expecting. Mine as well have been called a pale ale.
Brand new to the forum. I wanted to ask if you were anywhere near Fort Collins. Horse and Dragon has a pretty decent Kolsch.

Have done two small batch Kolsch brews and both came out (imho) very well.Have another couple lined up to do later in the year,both with different hops,one with Saaz and one with StyrianGoldings.
A fairly new supplier of yeast's and hops over here are producing some very good yeast's(dried) and at very good prices and the Kolsch yeast has had brilliant feedback:)

Back