Extract NE IPA recipe critique

Dirtyrunner13

Trial Member
Reaction score
Been brewing extract for a couple years now....saving up for AG setup. Any feedback on this recipe would be appreciated. This is my first attempt at the haze craze. I threw the Amarillo in just to have a hint of bitter back and hopefully a massive amount of citrus flavors and aroma from the late additions and dry hopping. A lot of research I've done mentions adding chloride and gypsum to the water to help with the softer mouthfeel. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

upload_2017-2-1_12-9-9.png

All I've herd about this hazy hop juicy styl is throw your first dry hop addition in at high krausen there seems to be a correlation between this and hops and haze. I've been reading brulosophers exbeerment on this recently and that's one conclusion they came too.

But yea I've got no experience in this hazy department just going by what I've read on the web :). Good luck hope she turns out juicy for you.

I see that yeast is a high floculator would using a low floculating yeast contribute more haze?

The partial mash needs a base grain in there to convert. With 2.5 pounds of non-diastatic grains, you'll need about 2.5 pounds of two-row malt to convert the oats and flaked wheat. You can decrease the extract by about 3 pounds if you are doing a partial mash. Check with the recipe builder to make sure that's correct- I'm guestimating off of the top of my head. You'll need a way to mash 5 pounds of grain, though, and that can be done in one of those 5 gallon paint strainer bags if you don't have something already set up.

I really like the hops schedule, and think it will work great.

As far as water, additions can be great. But you need to know your base water. If you're starting with RO or distilled water, that's easy but if you're starting with something else, like dechlorinated tap water, I wouldn't add gypsum or chloride without knowing the make up of the water and/or getting a water report.

Citra and Galaxy, great combo. I found Galaxy gets grassy with longer dryhopping so don't go extended time or forget about it.

and that can be done in one of those 5 gallon paint strainer bags if you don't have something already set up.
I mashed a lot of small batches in a 4-gallon pot and a $2 Home Depot paint strainer. ;) The "Can I mash it?" calculator here is invaluable.
You can steep crystal malts, but you won't get anything out of the flaked grains but starch. For a NE IPA, that extra haze won't hurt a thing, but you can get a lot more out of the whole thing mini-mashing like Yooper says.
The hops do look nice! Extremely juicy!

Back