Extract flavors

Steve21

Trial Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else has had the same funky issues with the flavor extracts.
Did a pumpkin ale 5 gallon, added 2oz ot Graham cracker flavor during bottling. And just did a split batch of chocolate porter one with raspberry and the other with cherry. Used less than 1/4oz per 1.5 gallon. Kicker is they all seem to give off a hot alcohol smell and flavor after they carbonated. It's almost like someone poured in 100 proof of moonshine in but with a slight tin flavor in the background.
Just seeing if other people have had this? I'm most likely just going to go back to real fruit and I Incure the mess it brings.

I think most extracts are made in such a way that the flavors really aren't natural at all. I found that really good flavored vodka can be good for some stuff. One of our local distilleries makes a killer Ruby Red Grapefruit that I've used in a Hefe and a Peach vodka that I've used in a winter wheat along with peach nectar in secondary. I've used blackberry vodka in a cider that everybody likes very well and I did one with Black Rasberry Chambourd that was pretty awesome. The blackberry vodka is a little perfumy but just a little really gives a nice impression in the right setting. I made some homemade blackberry brandy that has much more fruit flavor but it needs a little of the aromatic quality of the more intense comercial blackberry vodka to really register.
As for the extra alcohol in flavored vodka, a whole quart of 40 proof alcohol in a 5 gallon batch raises the ABV 1% so it's manageable.

how are you tasting this? right out of the fermenter? you can get carbonation bite and the taste if you just pull it out, after it carbs up and conditions this goes away

Back