Extract beer rules

Nothing wrong with that recipe.

Who said there was anything wrong? I just think about the zillions of mazing beers available available and the precision with which a lot of the brewers here work and find it surprising that such a simple and, presumably, understated lager could be best in show.

Ironically, I got second to him at NHC. Mine was all grain and it was pretty good. I think this may be a one off beer that may be harder than usual to duplicate. My hats off to him, that's a tough style to get right with all grain let alone extract. Pretty rare to see an extract get that far.

Who said there was anything wrong? I just think about the zillions of mazing beers available available and the precision with which a lot of the brewers here work and find it surprising that such a simple and, presumably, understated lager could be best in show.
I don't. It takes a lot more skill to make that beer than most others. I find a simple beer flavored beer to be a wonderful thing. Done right, a simple Pilsner is always my pick.

Just my opinion.

But if you compete with extract, you aren't doing the work. The mash, ph, etc was done for you. Be like entering a cooking contest after a chef cooked everything for you.

A contest should be ALL your work
You're not wrong here, but it is just a hobby

Done right, a simple Pilsner is always my pick.
+1 .....and really a test of your system/process!
After a decade of brewing, I have just started playing around with Helles as in introduction to brewing a light, lager, primarily pilsner malt bill beer. So far I have been lucky producing a pretty consistent wort, but even fairly small variations during the brewing process become pretty big variations in the final product. Using extract is a good way to at least reduce variation in mashing.

+1 .....and really a test of your system/process!
After a decade of brewing, I have just started playing around with Helles as in introduction to brewing a light, lager, primarily pilsner malt bill beer. So far I have been lucky producing a pretty consistent wort, but even fairly small variations during the brewing process become pretty big variations in the final product. Using extract is a good way to at least reduce variation in mashing.
Good point. Pilsner is a fermentation challenge. Using Pilsner DME takes the mashing variables out so you can concentrate on the fermentation.

Back