External heating element

Matteo Spacca

Trial Member
Reaction score
Good evening everyone. I'm new to the forum
upload_2023-4-29_2-3-31.gif

After a few years of brewing I have the need to switch from direct fire to electric. I have a very (probably stupid) question. Before drilling a 1,5" hole in my SS Brewtech 15Gal kettle I would like to know if there is and kind of removable heating element options on the market. Something like a submergible element that hooks up to the top of the kettle without the need of drilling. I was also thinking about a RIMS system but I don't think you can get to boiling with rims and also not sure the pump will work with boiling water.
Many thanks

Matteo

Welcome to the forum. I’m not help you question but wanted to say hello and hear the answers.

Good evening everyone. I'm new to the forum View attachment 25237
After a few years of brewing I have the need to switch from direct fire to electric. I have a very (probably stupid) question. Before drilling a 1,5" hole in my SS Brewtech 15Gal kettle I would like to know if there is and kind of removable heating element options on the market. Something like a submergible element that hooks up to the top of the kettle without the need of drilling. I was also thinking about a RIMS system but I don't think you can get to boiling with rims and also not sure the pump will work with boiling water.
Many thanks

Matteo
I would say no. If you want off the shelf, denord makes some nice triclamp heat elements. They make nice weldless bulkheads too

Would a simple immersion heater work?
Maybe coupled onto an inkbird?

Welcome to the forum ;)

This is allot cheaper.

DERNORD 2 Inch (OD64) Tri-clamp Ripple Heating Element Electric Water Heater 5500W 240V https://a.co/d/fuT6JCP

If it is just for a HLT, a Sous-Vide device may work. In anything with grain in it, I'm not sure an immersion type heater (exposed element) would work but YMMV!

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with you, RIMS might not boil and surely your pump will be unhappy. And I'd also hesitate to drill that hole until I knew exactly what would fill it.

I'm afraid I can't be much help, but I am looking forward to reading about what you end up doing.

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with you, RIMS might not boil and surely your pump will be unhappy. And I'd also hesitate to drill that hole until I knew exactly what would fill it.

I'm afraid I can't be much help, but I am looking forward to reading about what you end up doing.
RIMs would never boil. All you would do is scorch the wort. Once it got close to the boiling point, the suction would cause it to boil in the pump and lose prime.

I use my herms to also cool the wort after boil and you have to let it cool to under 190F or it won't pump

Looks interesting. Just make sure you turn it off before removal. Amazing how fast those things fry when out of water
Tell me about it:rolleyes::eek:.
I've exposed my element live a time or two that water was scolding of it when I rectified the situation.

I still haven't installed that float switch on my kettle...

Back