EROICA hops

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
OK so i ordered 8 oz of Eroica whole cones a month ago for a specific recipe i've been planning. I'm just afraid that all the extra honey will mask the Hull Melon additions that i'm planning with the Eroica.

3gal --> 2.25gal
4.0 lb American - Pale 2-Row
0.5 lb Canadian - Honey Malt
0.5 lb Flaked Wheat

0.50 oz Eroica 60 min
0.25 oz Hull Melon 20 min
0.5 lb Honey 10 min
0.25 oz Hull Melon 0 min
0.50 oz Hull Melon Dry Hop 14 days
US-05 at 60ºF

SO. Any recommendations for this?? Should i go a more traditional Pale route? (4lbs 2-row, .5lbs Victory, .25 Crystal60, .25 Carapils) I understand those would be two totally different beers, but i want more hop flavor from Eroica and Hull Melon more than anything.

i haven't used either of those hops yet, so i can't really comment on that side.
but, i think the actual honey will somewhat go to waste since it'll all ferment out. 10% honey malt should be enough to at least taste it, especially if you're worried there might be too much honey taste as it currently stands.
whatever you do, i'm curious how the hops play out in the final beer

I made a Brewers Best Honey Brown (extract kit) where the honey came through very well. You could definitely taste it.

slight derailment, but i wonder if they did anything to make the honey non-fermentable (if that's even possible)?
i had the understanding that the type of sugars in honey are simple and easy for the yeast to eat, so they would go through that first before other types of sugars in the wort. but, i've been known to be wrong before

It was just a jar of honey in the kit.

the honey malt does in larger amounts mask hop flavor but I think your dry hopping will over power the honey just fine, might not be as hoppy as you think but you will taste the dry hops

Honey in the boil usually contributes very little flavor. In fact, I generally add it to secondary, when I even bother, because the flavor contribution is so small. Most of it ferments down to thin the beer's body anyway. If you want honey flavor, honey malt is the way to go.

I might drop the honey malt, in favor of Victory, and keep it simple.

i'm mainly using the honey to get my OG up around 1060. Unless, is table sugar a better idea??

if that's your only purpose, then i'd use table sugar. it's cheaper

jmcnamara said:
if that's your only purpose, then i'd use table sugar. it's cheaper

just for calculation purposes, so i know how much to use, what is white table sugar labeled as on the recipe builder? Cane Sugar? Corn Sugar?

woo! thank you all. modified with no mo honey. brew day this sunday! Results to follow.

4.0 lb American - Pale 2-Row
0.5 lb American - Crystal 20L
0.5 lb American - Victory
0.25 lb American - Carapils
8.00 oz sugar (late addition)

Table sugar is cane sugar.

He's talking pounds and ounces. I stand by my answer! :D

Cane sugar. For reference, white candi sugar is the same thing, too.

broke open that bag, sorted into 1 oz baggies. i guess i have to brew everything with these now.

Attachments

• IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 5,552
Valentine's Day brew coming up with these.

Eroica SMaSH ... 3gal --> 2.25gal

5 lbs 2-row

.33oz Eroica @ 60
.33oz Eroica @ 20
.33oz Eroica @ 0

US-05 at 60º for 14 days

.50oz Eroica dry hopped for 14 days

Back