English IPA Stuck @ 1.018-19... Good or Amylase

What would you do?

• Invite your little friend Amylase to the Party!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dornbox

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I have an English IPA that's parked around 1.018 and I was shooting for 1.015-16. The yeast is done and I do not think that it's stuck. During the boil my controller crapped out and I had a super aggressive boil combined with a mash temp around 154 deg. I'm guessing the temp and boil just produced a less fermentable wort. Currently I have it spunding @ 10 psi at 72 deg so it has a little fizz and tastes decent. I'm trying to decide weather or not to crash and clear or add a touch of amylase with hopes of getting closer to my FG without going below... but I've never used amylase. Oh, it's also solidly hoppy at 80 IBUs plus some dry hops. Thoughts, insights, pearls of wisdom or anecdotal stories would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1324579/ipa-bkg-bomb

Last edited:
I would definitely keg it. 1.067 ---> 1.018 ≈ 73% attenuation, which is a little low for Verdant but not unreasonable. For whatever the reason (my guess is the grain bill), the wort was not as fermentable as the yeast would have liked. Regardless, that wouldn't concern me at all, just remember it for next time.

Cheers!

It's done.
You have 2# of unfermentables in there. That's 13.33%
80% attenuation of the ferementables leaves you with 1.0134
Then you'd need to add the points from the unfermentables to get the actual anticipated FG.
Proceed.
Cheers,
Brian

Yeah, 016 to 018 is not a big leap.

If you used the Fullers strain, it won't ferment down that much. Drink it.

Back