Efficiency tuning

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Brewed few days ago and all went well, I have one problem that I'm sure everyone would like to have.

Efficiency:
Conversion: 131.4%
Pre-Boil: 118% 44.1 ppg
Ending Kettle: 89% 33.3 ppg
Brew House: 86% 33.3 ppg

I was within 1 point of gravity so not worried about that (1.056, shooting for 1.055).
What do I need to change in my equipment profile to fix this OR do I just let it ride and be happy (I am happy about this first world brewer's issue:D)

Last edited:
I think somethings off there, Ive never herd anyone reaching those stats before

Here is my 2 sheet, I started with 36.8q and have always got a good return from my mash tun......where did I go wrong?

upload_2017-10-24_11-9-26.png
upload_2017-10-24_11-9-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-24_11-6-6.png
    upload_2017-10-24_11-6-6.png
    229.3 KB · Views: 98
How did your mash and pre-boil gravity get to be higher than your gravities post-boil?

I think you got your numbers backward or the pre-boil gravity is off.

I never, ever trust pre-boil gravity...I've just never gotten accurate results from the hydro readings. There's no way to get less sugar when you concentrate it by boiling.
Post boil tends to be accurate, especially if you take a sample after the entire batch is cooled. Your overall efficiency of 89 percent measured at the kettle seems do-able and it's a really good efficiency and your brewhouse efficiency of 86 is reasonable considering your low loss between kettle and fermenter, but the other numbers are meaningless...the gravity simply couldn't have been 1.061.

Just checked my notes and found what I did, wrote down the Hot sample # not the cooled sample #!! but am still really high in all efficiency

upload_2017-10-24_15-27-55.png

I've gotten mid 80s and your 90 percent isn't unheard of. Some variation in readings comes from the fact that we almost always use hydrometers that don't have particularly accurate or easy-to read scales. The calculator can work to higher accuracy that we can measure so a few tenths of a point difference in PPG is common.
The conversion calcuation is always out of whack with everything else. Ignore it. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah that looks more normal Valka. I find my pre boil is always within a few points of predicted gravity. Knowing how many from there youll get out of your boil from there helps too im usually guaranteed another 8 -10 points post boil.

another 8 -10 points post boil.
With average boil-off, that should be pretty consistent. Easy to check that part of it with the Boil-off/Dilution calculator. As long as the volumes are pretty accurate, the readings will be consistent. Only way to lose sugar is to lose wort. It's why Brewhouse efficiency is different...losses into the fermenter account for less sugars.

Amen to that it's all about reducing your losses - that's why I pretty much dump the lot in bar about 500ml:).

Reactions: J A

Back