Efficiency and Yield Up

Not just the commercial brewers. There's not many late teen, early 20s shift managers in busy pubs that have the skills and/or patience to treat a cask properly. This would have to be a big reason for the shift to kegs in the 70s/80s.

I'm sure you're right and it's very true now, we get served some terrible beer sometimes. I was in my (very) early 20s back then though and we used to get through 20 hogsheads of Boddington's a week and our beer, of course, was sublime!

Steve SPF, we are going to visit republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Scotland in March 2020, do you have some places we should not miss?

I'm a little ashamed to say that I've never been to Ireland. I will visit the North one day because it was such a part of my younger days news wise. There's not much of a beer scene though, politics is still getting in the way.

Scotland I know a little and personally I would want to see Kircudbright, a literary town and I'm a big fan of the written word. Some of the islands up the West Coast look beautiful and that's where the distilleries seem to be; definitely worth a look.

I would also say Edinburgh, possibly my favourite British city; so much history there. The Grassmarket where Burke & Hare hung out is an interesting place but the old parts of the city are all just shot through with history. Edinburgh for sure; great city.

Back