Easy swill for the farmers

BilltownBrewingCo

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am looking to do a house recipe for just an easy drinking beer that appeals to the older farmers in my community when they stop by the shop. As can be expected from my logo, we're in Iowa. Unsurprisingly, most of the farmers like us around here drink macro stuff. Since Toppling Goliath has gone mainstream (and more or less become goliath) many of them are atleast craft aware, but Psuedo Sue is about as hoppy as they can stand. I'd like to formulate a beer that is ours to be able to pour them on draught instead of busch light or budweiser.

I'd like to do a yeast experiement and try this recipe with 34/70, US-05, as well as Lutra. Before I do though, wouldn't mind getting y'alls feedback on this pretty simple recipe:

1707862147006.png

Last edited:
I love it, especially the Liberty hops.

I do think fermentation will make or break the beer. Good luck!

surprisingly those kinds of beers are harder to do than something with higher color to it. there is nothing there to hide any mistakes.

that one would be good with saaz hops as well.
I've done a lot of Czechs and Helles with Saaz, love them deeply in lighter lagers and agree they'd be great in this recipe. But, for this, i really wanted what little hop character this should have to be from an American hop... the guys will appreciate that. Could easily sub them in on a future brew though!

Last edited:
I love it, especially the Liberty hops.

I do think fermentation will make or break the beer. Good luck!
Couldn't agree more on fermentation. That's kind of why I am looking to do the yeast experiment with this recipe. With such a delicate beer, whatever yeast is used will be noticeable, so getting the right one will be very important. Once I decide which one I like the most I'll likely brew this a ton just to always have it as a gateway beer to the rest of the kegs in the keezer.

Hey all! I am looking to do a house recipe for just an easy drinking beer that appeals to the older farmers in my community when they stop by the shop. As can be expected from my logo, we're in Iowa. Unsurprisingly, most of the farmers like us around here drink macro stuff. Since Toppling Goliath has gone mainstream (and more or less become goliath) many of them are atleast craft aware, but Psuedo Sue is about as hoppy as they can stand. I'd like to formulate a beer that is ours to be able to pour them on draught instead of busch light or budweiser.

I'd like to do a yeast experiement and try this recipe with 34/70, US-05, as well as Lutra. Before I do though, wouldn't mind getting y'alls feedback on this pretty simple recipe:

View attachment 28447
Recipe looks solid. I would consider splitting the 2 oz of liberty into a 20 minute and a 5 minute addition.

My reasoning is my belief (not backed by anything) that all the bitterness is squeezed out of hops (and into the wort) within 30 minutes. So your recipe basically is the same as a single 60 minute addition of 3 ounces imho. Since you want to get a little away from bitterness, use those 4 AA hops at the end for aroma instead.

US05 is a good clean choice.

Perhaps a small amount of something malty, like maris otter, BUT that will definitely impact color. Perhaps instead alter the water profile to for a 2:1 chloride-sulphate ratio to de-emphasize the hops and emphasize the malt.

I'd love to hear what you end up brewing and how it is received.

Recipe looks solid. I would consider splitting the 2 oz of liberty into a 20 minute and a 5 minute addition.

My reasoning is my belief (not backed by anything) that all the bitterness is squeezed out of hops (and into the wort) within 30 minutes. So your recipe basically is the same as a single 60 minute addition of 3 ounces imho. Since you want to get a little away from bitterness, use those 4 AA hops at the end for aroma instead.

US05 is a good clean choice.

Perhaps a small amount of something malty, like maris otter, BUT that will definitely impact color. Perhaps instead alter the water profile to for a 2:1 chloride-sulphate ratio to de-emphasize the hops and emphasize the malt.

I'd love to hear what you end up brewing and how it is received.
I had actually already made a similar change that effectively does exactly what you're suggesting on the hops. I was worried about 20 ibus would do in such a thin lighter beer. Here's updated recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1348142/billtown-swill

I have to do the base for a fruited wheat before I start on these, but in a few weeks I'll report after brew day. The first double batch will be split between us-05 and 34/70, so obviously we'll get to try the 05 first.

34/70 is a great choice because of its fermentation flexibility. 05 can throw different flavor it’s at various temps. I also like S-189 for the same flexibility. Now that temps here are perfect for a lager ferment, I’m going to find the dry yeast I prefer. I really like 2206, but dry for lagers is so easy.

34/70 is a great choice because of its fermentation flexibility. 05 can throw different flavor it’s at various temps. I also like S-189 for the same flexibility. Now that temps here are perfect for a lager ferment, I’m going to find the dry yeast I prefer. I really like 2206, but dry for lagers is so easy.
For this recipe's yeast experimetn I will plan to go at the lowest, least ester-producing temperature for each yeast. I'll likely do 50-52 for 34/70, 60 for US-05, and around 70 for Lutra. Goal will be to get the cleanest profile each yeast is able to provide.

I had actually already made a similar change that effectively does exactly what you're suggesting on the hops. I was worried about 20 ibus would do in such a thin lighter beer. Here's updated recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1348142/billtown-swill

I have to do the base for a fruited wheat before I start on these, but in a few weeks I'll report after brew day. The first double batch will be split between us-05 and 34/70, so obviously we'll get to try the 05 first.
Looks good!

You have the target water profile as RO water, all zeros. But you might consider adding even a few grams of calcium, chloride and sulphate. RO without additives can be sub-optimal.

Let us know if you need info on that.

Looks good!

You have the target water profile as RO water, all zeros. But you might consider adding even a few grams of calcium, chloride and sulphate. RO without additives can be sub-optimal.

Let us know if you need info on that.
I live in the kc area and brew in Iowa. If I'm doing an IPA, or other styles that need to be adjusted pretty heavily, I make sure I've got everything and calculate it ahead of time. With this exceptionally soft profile I know I'll have the little bit of CaCl, gypsum etc and will calculate it while my water warms. I know with this thin of a mash I'm going to need to adjust PH down, so I will have to make sure I've got a vial of lactic, but I'll do that based off of my ph meter.

I live in the kc area and brew in Iowa. If I'm doing an IPA, or other styles that need to be adjusted pretty heavily, I make sure I've got everything and calculate it ahead of time. With this exceptionally soft profile I know I'll have the little bit of CaCl, gypsum etc and will calculate it while my water warms. I know with this thin of a mash I'm going to need to adjust PH down, so I will have to make sure I've got a vial of lactic, but I'll do that based off of my ph meter.
It sounds like a good plan. I'm excited to hear about the result once you get to it!

Off topic, but I keep reading your name as biltong brewing
And I agree that biltong & beer is an awesome combination
(and I'll just have another simple cider) :D

With the Iowa thing, I would do a Pre-Pro which has the corn. I loved that beer when I did it and the breweries did it here.
2 Row/6 Row (take your pick), flaked corn, 34/70, Crystal Hops. Somewhere in the low/mid 5s %. Great, simple beer with taste.

This is my Golden Lager. It very much satisfies the beach cheap beer crowd. I have brewed this recipe about 14 or 15 times. I think its pretty good in its current state. I used Apex Munich on the most recent batch and its pretty tasty!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1427656

Your recipe is too simple!!

Def need some dextrin and a heavy help of flaked! JK!

If you have access to Loral i would highly recommend it for its efficiency. Its a Super Nobel and in cryo is Very high AA so you would need a very small amount. I really like Pacific Jade and WIllammette as well. I have never used Liberty hops before.

Off topic, but I keep reading your name as biltong brewing
And I agree that biltong & beer is an awesome combination
(and I'll just have another simple cider) :D
I'll be honest, I had to google this to learn what biltong it is. Not often I discover a different kind of meat that I am unaware of, so I appreciate the off topic comment lol. I am from Williams, Iowa orginally, we lovingly refer to it as "Billtown"

This is my Golden Lager. It very much satisfies the beach cheap beer crowd. I have brewed this recipe about 14 or 15 times. I think its pretty good in its current state. I used Apex Munich on the most recent batch and its pretty tasty!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1427656

Your recipe is too simple!!

Def need some dextrin and a heavy help of flaked! JK!

If you have access to Loral i would highly recommend it for its efficiency.
Its a Super Nobel and in cryo is Very high AA so you would need a very small amount. I really like Pacific Jade and WIllammette as well. I have never used Liberty hops before.

what is Loral??

The grainbill looks good, but I would dial back(get rid of) the flavor/aroma hop additions if you were looking to appeal non-craft beer drinkers, who most likely don’t like very much hop character at all. I would only do a 60 minute(or first wort if you want to hang onto more flavor) addition, as at least in my experience on my setup, I get a fair amount of flavor from that anyway.
A note on the mashing, what are the rest temperatures? I can’t tell from what you’ve put in there. Usually strike is higher than the desired rest temperature, accounting for the natural drift down in temperature as the grain and mash ton absorb heat. At least, in a traditional three vessel system.

The grainbill looks good, but I would dial back(get rid of) the flavor/aroma hop additions if you were looking to appeal non-craft beer drinkers, who most likely don’t like very much hop character at all. I would only do a 60 minute(or first wort if you want to hang onto more flavor) addition, as at least in my experience on my setup, I get a fair amount of flavor from that anyway.
A note on the mashing, what are the rest temperatures? I can’t tell from what you’ve put in there. Usually strike is higher than the desired rest temperature, accounting for the natural drift down in temperature as the gr
I brew on the 20 gallon 240v clawhammer all in one (BIAB) system. I've had good luck with doing a bit of a bastardized step mash where I star at the protein rest, then pump the temp via the electric heater up to 145 for half an hour, then to 155 for half an hour. I am likely to do a 15 minute protein rest at 130, then simply raise the temp up to 150. To get my strike at 130 I'll actually set my temp to 125, then once I've doughed in I'll set the temp to 128, and once it hits that I'll turn off the heat and it rises up to 130. Once it's at pr slightly over that temp I set the temp to 130 and start the rest timer and repeat that for each subsequent rest at the next higher temp step.

Back