Dry Yeast Question

TheZel66

Trial Member
Reaction score
Dry Yeast Brewers,

I have two packets of dry yeast that have an expiration date of 9/2018. I know dry yeast has a pretty long shelf life, but is that getting too close to the expiration date to use?

I have some packs in the fridge dated 06/2017 and I'll probably do a starter off one to very it but otherwise I'm not worried about it. That stuff lasts forever.

I wouldn’t worry even if it was a bit past the expiration date. You’re 4 months before it. I’m sure they know what they’re doing with expiration dates. RDWHAHB.

Ive pitched dry yeast 3 years after I bought it and worked fine, as long as its kept dry it will keep forever

If it suffered particularly harsh storage conditions it might be an issue, but any reasonable temps and humidity would leave it in fine shape even after the expiration date.

Dry Yeast Brewers,

I have two packets of dry yeast that have an expiration date of 9/2018. I know dry yeast has a pretty long shelf life, but is that getting too close to the expiration date to use?
I think you're good. I don't know what the expiration date means exactly for yeast. Do the packets have the manufacture date? If so, plug it into the yeast calculator and it'll give you a viability estimate.

If you do use it, make sure you have a backup plan.
Cheers,
Brian

Just pitched a expired Nottingham Ale that was 10 months past due date, pitched it on Sat and issues, it is the third package I have used in the past 6 or so months. I pitched it right in but a rehydration might be smarter way to go.

As many have stated, you're likely OK as long as it has not been subjected to poor handling or storage. For sure, rehydrate it, and if you're concerned about cell count, a 2 liter starter at 1.036 will approximately double the cell count and greatly improve overall vitality.

I have done 2 things with questionable dry yeast.
1) rehydrate it to see if it gets creamy and foamy. You can pretty much tell if it's good to go ... or not
2) make a small starter (1/2 cup DME to 2 cup water) with 1/2 of the yeast in the packet. Again, see if you get creamy, foamy (you can pretty much tell). If good, pitch the starter plus the balance of the dry.

Back