Dry Hopping Question

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So far whenever I have done dry hop additions I have put the hops in a sterilized a muslin bag and added to the fermenter.
I have one wide mouth glass fermenter, and one narrow neck (carboy). It is easy to add the bag to the wide mouth, but a pain to add it to the carboy. Even more of a pain to get it out of the carboy later...

Is there any reason I can't just add hop pellets in directly, no bag?

My next two brews will be within a few days of each other, and they both have dry hop additions.

TIA
Craigerrr

The only reason the direct addition can be a problem is with harvesting and re-using yeast. I always assume that I won't harvest from dry-hopped beers and just throw the hops in directly. I like to dry-hop when there's still a little fermentation activity so I don't have to worry about oxidation.

The pellets just seem to sit on top for me. Tied in a bag with marbles weighing it down means all the hops are totally submerged. So in theory you're getting more hop goodness

I always just throw them in. I need to give the carboy a swirl every now and then otherwise as JC points out they float. I always wait until the yeast is done so the bubbles won't float the gunk to the top. Most of it usually ends up at the bottom. I'm considering using a tea infuser on a chain in my keg in the future.

I've suspended one of these in fermenters with good results:

https://smile.amazon.com/OneBom-Sta...1950&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hop+strainer&psc=1

Does a good job of containment. I leave it in until after transferring to the keg. Actually thinking of using dental floss to hang it in a keg for the next IPA I brew. I have gotten more and fresher aroma keg hopping than dry hopping. Only problem I had in the past was a lot of sludge when I weighted down a hop sock and just dropped it in.

I used to, and would probably be still doing it if I didn't get problems with the hops clogging up my bottling wand.

As far as removing it, the best I've found is to get the bag near the neck of the carboy then use a knife or skinny pair of scissors to cut the bag enough to let some sludge out so you can pull most of it through

The pellets just seem to sit on top for me. Tied in a bag with marbles weighing it down means all the hops are totally submerged. So in theory you're getting more hop goodness

I just wait till the hops start to settle out, they generally drop to the bottom after 3-4 days.

Back