Dry hop technique

TWS

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Got a SUDscription from NB. First brew is an IPA which I've never done. (Ale Guy here). Question re dry hop. Using SS Chronical 2.0 with Brewmaster glycol chiller, I anticipate lifting the lid, adding the hops, flushing the air space with CO2, then calling it done. Is there another technique to consider? I understand this style to be ultra sensitive to oxygen, so am wondering.

I have dry hopped a couple different ways. Under pressure and the old fashion way ( open the fermenter quickly drop in the hops and close. I have not had an O2 issue yet. I mostly brew IPA's but I also will dry hop a lager and Belgian ales sometimes. No issues (yet).:rolleyes:

Got a SUDscription from NB. First brew is an IPA which I've never done. (Ale Guy here). Question re dry hop. Using SS Chronical 2.0 with Brewmaster glycol chiller, I anticipate lifting the lid, adding the hops, flushing the air space with CO2, then calling it done. Is there another technique to consider? I understand this style to be ultra sensitive to oxygen, so am wondering.
I recently made a West Coast IPA, using my FerMonster with an integrated hop strainer. I had to remove the air lock to add dry hops. The beer was bottled. From start to finish, that batch was very good, among the best I have made. Your process sounds fine to me.

that is pretty much it. as long as you purge it, should be fine.

what some people do it use a hop bag that it suspended from the lid and held out of the beer by a magnet. remove the magnet and it falls in. you never have to open it.

I am of the opinion that, if the hops are added while fermentation is still active, any O2 will get scavenged by the yeast. I open a port on the conical, drop in the bag of hops, and re-seal it. Minimal O2, haven't had an issue BUT it is possible that I have and just can't tell...

Purging definitely can't hurt.

As Don suggests, add dry hops before fermentation is finished. I have a bit of a reputation here for having a heavy hand with hops, have never had an issue opening the fermenter toadd dry additions.

I feel that adding dry hops during fermentation decreases the aroma that you get.
I dry hop after cold crashing and dumping yeast.
When I dry hop, I hook up the CO2 line to the cone dump valve and trickle gas through the fermentor. Then add hops through the top port and continue to scrub out any oxygen while the hops a re mixing into solution.

I also prefer to dry hop post-fermentation. 2 days before packaging, I remove the airlock from the fermenter, dump the hops in, reset the airlock. No purging or "low oxygen" methods are employed - not that I don't believe in them - it's just that I'm lazy. That method has given me the best hop-punch so far. If I'm ruining my beer with O2, I don't notice much in its 4-5 week lifespan (a benefit to small batch brewing), though I guess the hops probably fade a bit.

Thanks, folks, for the input!

Different strokes for different Brewers. I don't disagree with @The Brew Mentor or @Megary about dry hopping after fermentation. If you dry hop to early, much of your aroma will be lost with off gassing. I split the difference and dryhop late in fermentation.

CO2 is heavier than air. So, in theory there should be a protect layer when you open the fermentor. Does dropping in hops disrupt that layer? Maybe. But, like others I’ve never had an issue.

CO2 is heavier than air. So, in theory there should be a protect layer when you open the fermentor. Does dropping in hops disrupt that layer? Maybe. But, like others I’ve never had an issue.
Ever played with dry ice? It is heavier, but even a slight breeze will blow it away.

I open mine when adding dry hops. But do it quick, lol. Same as you, never had an Issue

Co2 is heavier, but the theory of a distinct layering isn't going to happen really. Gasses easily mix like minbari describes. It takes more than a whisp of air from adding hops to cause oxidization.

Back