(DONE) Labelling?

Re: Labelling?

This thread has thrown up some interesting possibilities.

Having read through it now, it seems like the basic options for labelling are;
- print on normal paper (probably 100g/sqm), cut out by hand, then use milk as an adhesive
- use pre-cut address label sheets with fixed sizes
- print on label paper (whole sheet is one big label), cut out by hand, then attach
- use a digital printing service

I can see that there might be scenarios where each of these methods seems the most valid. However, if we're going to have the ability to generate/print labels directly from within BF then I think we'd need to support the first and last options. The "print it out at home and get your scissors" option is probably going to be the most accessible and popular option, but I can see the need for a high quality professional looking option (digital printing) for things like homebrew events/contests etc when the issue of branding and perception becomes much more important and I wouldn't necessarily be comfortable turning up with hand-cut labels. This is a long way off for me, but still...

On the face of it, digital printing seems the most expensive method of doing this, but once you factor in things like the cost of colour inkjet cartridges and the additional time you're going to spend printing, re-printing, cutting out and re-cutting out because of inevitable mistakes or quality issues, you could argue that there's not a lot in it.

The site mentioned above, Zazzle, has an API that could be used to integrate a digital printing service (http://www.zazzle.co.uk/sell/developers/createaproductapi). I think it'd be fantastic if we had the ability to design and save label templates within BF, associate them with our recipies (and share them maybe?) and choose whether to print them out ourselves or pay the extra to get them printed professionally. That particular site also offers printing of custom 16oz beer glasses and coasters - so even those who keg shouldn't feel left out!

I should also mention my own interim means of keeping track is to use a wax pencil to write straight onto the glass bottle.

Masking tape. But I have to admit, the address labels might not be a bad idea....

The BeerClings mentioned on the blog look like they have awesome potential.

I could imagine buying a set of 48 for each of my recipes good enough to be officially "named" by me - even better if they're digitally printed and could accept my own designs to fit their pre-defined label sizes. That would be amazing.

Beerclings has definite potential.
It needs more variety and ability to customise

I've found, like Russ, that the plain printer paper works pretty good. I just use elmer's and a 1-2" paintbrush. Put a bunch of elmers in a bowl and use it like paint. If you want to get fancy and precise, a small cheap trim roller and the tray they come with works very well. This definitely washes off easy.

Plain paper labels "glued" on with milk:
Saucer of milk, clean sponge, VERY LIGHT application of milk, press them on. Obviously, if you were get it over-soaked with milk it would probably start stinking. I haven't had that issue and the labels go on easy, stay on, and come off with a quick peel. It really does work.

MrBIP said:
the labels go on easy, stay on, and come off with a quick peel. It really does work.
+1
I used the "milk glue" a few months ago for the only brew I have labelled so far, and it worked like a charm.

Or, if you don't want the possibility of a milk "stink", dilute Elmer's glue-all. Same adhesive - casein - as in milk.

I'll put in my two cents and say that I use http://www.beerlabelizer.com/, print on paper and glue with milk. The amount of milk used will dry before it stinks and it is the easiest to remove. the above site allows you to enlarge the labels for what ever size bottle you need. $5 gets you premium membership.

I just make stock labels from there as I would pend hours and hours designing labels so since I only bottle what I give away,which is less than a gallon per batch, I don't take the time.

Re: (NEXT RELEASE) Labelling?

We are rolling out a label generator feature in the next release. It will contain your profile picture, and a QR code link to the recipe (if the recipe is shared). The link will be under the Recipe Tools menu.

There will be fixed templates to choose from in two sizes. There is also a text field that shows the recipe stats, so you can easily copy/paste that into your own label program.

It will be basic to start - not a label designer with lots of bells and whistles. There is another thread about adding photos to recipes and having them appear on the label, or as the label. That would be the next logical upgrade.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=179

We just use a perm sharpie and # each bottle on the cap with the batch#. You do need a list when going into the beer archives to pull out an old one but with good records it works well.
I do like the idea of labels from the recipe builder!!!

The label generator and QR Code features are now live. Check for the Label Generator link under the Recipe Tools menu on the recipe edit and recipe view pages. There are 6 templates to choose from, and 2 different sizes.

Please try out the QR codes and let me know how they work. My phone reads them just fine. Only recipes that are shared get QR codes.

Here is an example:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... rator/3981

The printable labels don't go to PDF, but Chrome does that automatically. We designed the templates so they print best in landscape mode.

We are open to adding additional templates down the road. It ties in best with the photo upload feature in the recipe editor, covered here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=370
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=179

Head First said:
We just use a perm sharpie and # each bottle on the cap with the batch#. You do need a list when going into the beer archives to pull out an old one but with good records it works well.
I do like the idea of labels from the recipe builder!!!

I do a 2 or 3 letter code on the cap, sometimes throws off guests. Haven't ran into a case where two different batches would need the same abbreviation.
H = hefe
P = porter
IPA = IPA
SG = snifter grade IIPA
R = racer 5 clone
TD = total domination clone
etc...

By the way, I love kegging.

Back