Does the IBU for this make sense?

Hawkbox

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm borrowing a recipe from the Beer&Brewing magazine and the IBU estimation their site and what Brewers Friend is saying are wildly different. I'm curious to get your thoughts on this one. I'm leaning toward the higher estimate just based on the amount of hops involved, but I would like some more educated opinions.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/546323/freestyle-ipa

ok here's whats driving up the ibu's, the whirlpool, just change the percentage lower in each or even 0 and it will be the same, I don't think that recipe is using whirlpool hop utilization like this site is, so its deceiving

That seems like a ridiculous amount of hops :eek:

The only thing I can think of is the alpha acids are different between the two recipes. Are the amounts straight copied over or did you adjust them to get the right amount of IBU from each hop addition?

That or you forgot to put a decimal place in there somewhere;)

That might be part of it. The original recipe only has the AA for one of the hop additions

Yeah, but realistically the hops being used are all high AA as pretty much a given. Even if I use the low end of the numbers for those I come out with a crazy high number. I'm not against doing it mind you, this just seems like a metric shitload of hops.

in terms of bitterness, after 100 IBUs, it's pretty much all the same to us humans.
i'd think that would hold true for the aroma and flavor side of it too, but that maybe a different baseline

not that you asked for it, but i'd maybe halve all everything (at least the boil additions) and see how that worked out in the numbers

That's actually a solid idea. See what it comes out as and if it's not strong enough I can always add more later.

I think those are wet hops. To use dried hops at those amounts is just a waste of good hay.

Oh that would make sense. Is there a good conversion rate between wet and pellet hops? I'll try setting them to wet and see how my math goes.

Hmm ok, I dropped it down everything but the bittering hop and the numbers got a lot more in line. If I drop the bittering hops it goes well below. I think I can make this work.

Hmm ok, I dropped it down everything but the bittering hop and the numbers got a lot more in line. If I drop the bittering hops it goes well below. I think I can make this work.
Them hopping rates look tame compared to what @Mark D Pirate slaps in his hoppier brews. :p.

If you want more hops load up on your whirlpool and dry hop additions mmmm yum.

Them hopping rates look tame compared to what @Mark D Pirate slaps in his hoppier brews. :p.

If you want more hops load up on your whirlpool and dry hop additions mmmm yum.
Are you sure Mark D. isn't using hay? His hop levels rise to the absurd....

I like a hoppy beer, but damn. Wait you can use real hay? Cause I know some farmers.

Oi ! it's a one off thing for me to use quite that much in a brew , i do love my hops though .
Hawkbox i'd just brew the same way it's posted in B&B to test , it's not that much really

I"d be layering my flavour and aroma hops from 20 mins onwards and using a small FWH for between a quarter and third of my total IBU then hitting whirlpool with a solid dose
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/411611/crye-baby-xpa-v2-1-swap-beer is the beer the guys are picking on me about with the simply absurd hop usage

I like a hoppy beer, but damn. Wait you can use real hay? Cause I know some farmers.
I'd predict a very vegetal flavor from it but you could try.... I was talking about the mass of hops he put in that brew of his - you really could feed cows with it! ;-)

Ah cmon, that's no more than half a square bale of materials in there. ;)

Don't give that to your dog it'll be greener than the hops!

I know me chooks sure dig the homebrew though:p.

I don't always go mental with the hops , currently have 2 different golden ales and an ESB using normal hopping rates and next up is a Vienna lager , Dunkel and maybe my red ale while I wait for fresh season hops so I can hopping mad on a NEIPA again

Back