Do not throw hops in keg for dry hopping! Ideas for a hop bag?

coreyman

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I threw my hops in the corny keg for dry hopping and my liquid dip tube and post keep getting clogged with hops. I've taken it apart probably 15 times and re-pressurized it and it keeps getting full of hops. I only threw in 2oz of hops :(. Next time I'll be sure to grab some mesh bag for this purpose. Anyone have experience with a good mesh bag for this?

You could shorten the “beer” line tube an inch or two, or in addition to @Nosybear suggestion, try this: http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/home.html

And two ounces of hops (assuming pellets) would expand a great deal. You’ll see when you empty the keg.

I dry hop during fermentation to avoid this from happening.

I use the same thing as Mark Farrall. I hang it about 4 inches off of the bottom with dental floss, which I tie to one of the keg posts. Works great.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I bought the hop stopper 2.0 from electric brewery. Seems like I could put an unlimited amount of hops or other additives directly in the keg with this.

You could shorten the “beer” line tube an inch or two, or in addition to @Nosybear suggestion, try this: http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/home.html

And two ounces of hops (assuming pellets) would expand a great deal. You’ll see when you empty the keg.

I dry hop during fermentation to avoid this from happening.

I don't want to shorten my tube at all, would get less beer per keg :p

Man I've totally never plugged my lines all to hell with hops. What kind of total newb would do something like that? :oops:
Yeah, who the hell would do that?

I think the keg I filled a few days ago is going to be a new low for me.

I used a tea strainer for a gallon of ice tea, about 2" in diameter and 4" tall. I put it in the keg with 2 oz. of pellets, it must popped open because the dip tube clogged immediately. When I tried to let off the pressure thru the keg vent, beer and hops sprayed everywhere. Over the next 2 days I was able to vent it slowly. Then opened it up and racked into another keg. Surprisingly, I picked very little hop residue. Don't know what all the air exposure will do to it so it will be consumed quick. Tasted good.

I've been looking for this just found it, this solves all problems with anything on the bottom, you take the serving tube out and replace it with the red o'ring ferrell, you serve from the top

IMG_20190525_180630520.jpg

I can't afford to install those in all my kegs so I'll just have to be careful.

Back