DME and LME

Jamesj2851

Trial Member
Reaction score
I want to brew a beer that uses three lb of pilsen light DME. If i wanted to use LME what would i use and how much would i need?

Google LME to DME. :D
Conversion is 1.25# LME to 1# DME.
DME will likely yield a better beer. ;)

I agree with Ozarks. Also, even with the lightest LME you won't get as light of a color as you get from DME.

Why do you want to use LME instead of DME? I would agree that DME is a better choice, but I know that sometimes you have to use what you have/can get. I brewed with LME for a few years instead of DME because I could get it at a much lower price and the store I was buying it at had a fresh supply due to high turnover. I found that by using the extra light LME and adding about 60% of it in the last 10 minutes of the boil I could get very light coloured beers. To convert from one to the other you can use the recipe builder, just input the recipe with DME and then swap LME for the DME and then adjust quantity until the OG matches.

The number above, 1.25X DME to convert, seems about right. You can google it as well. But as with the others, I wonder why you want to use LME? If it's all that's available, use it but if you have a choice, DME is a far superior product.

I can get the LME local but in order to get the DME i have to order online and pay shipping but since everyone says its way better to use DME i made a order this morning for it.

You should try both...I've used LME in low percentage as a gravity boost and it's been fine. It's just very hit or miss with a full extract brew.

I find the LME easier to use as it does not clump up and cling to everything how are you overcoming these issues? just asking to improve my knowledge.

Reasons people can like LME:
You can buy exactly the amount you need
The containers are less likely to tear and leak than a baggie
It won't clump in storage
It doesn't go airborne and gum up at the slightest presence of moisture
Easier cleanup
The drums can be repurposed as large fermenters
DME may be harder to get

A simple, valid question was asked in the beginner forum, and 60% of the responses didn't answer it. Before advising people to do something completely different, understand the background on what they're really doing.

Reasons people can like LME:
You can buy exactly the amount you need
The containers are less likely to tear and leak than a baggie
It won't clump in storage
It doesn't go airborne and gum up at the slightest presence of moisture
Easier cleanup
The drums can be repurposed as large fermenters
DME may be harder to get

A simple, valid question was asked in the beginner forum, and 60% of the responses didn't answer it. Before advising people to do something completely different, understand the background on what they're really doing.
About the second or third post answered it. Are you suggesting we should just stop there?

We're in danger of getting on our high horse like some other forums out there.

I started with LME and did probably 6-8 batches without even fully understanding there was an alternative. You'll get away with either, but over time I would suggest you either pick a path or start making notes and determine which suits your needs better.

Since going all grain I only using DME for the odd starter and haven't looked at LME in over a year, but that doesn't inherently mean there is anything wrong with going that route.

I want to brew a beer that uses three lb of pilsen light DME. If i wanted to use LME what would i use and how much would i need?
Briess makes Pilsen LME.
A quick down and dirty conversion going from to another is to use a 20% multiplier.
IE. 3lbs. DME +20%= 3.6lbs. LME
Good Luck,
Brian

We're in danger of getting on our high horse like some other forums out there.

I started with LME and did probably 6-8 batches without even fully understanding there was an alternative. You'll get away with either, but over time I would suggest you either pick a path or start making notes and determine which suits your needs better.

Since going all grain I only using DME for the odd starter and haven't looked at LME in over a year, but that doesn't inherently mean there is anything wrong with going that route.
I brew very good beers using DME. I primarily use it to test ingredients in very small batches, it works wonderfully for that purpose! And I've won medals with DME-based beers. As you say, there's nothing wrong with going that route. In fact, if you have an hour and a half, you can make beer with it.

Back