DIY grain mill

This is what my mill looks like, it cost me a piece of 2x2 and a 5 gallon pail cut in half.
View attachment 11530
I ordered one of those mills and it will be perfect for grains and a lot of other grinding tasks around the house. FYI - I like your setup and I come from an era when general fabrication was taught in school. It will be fun to build a hopper to slip on top for larger grain grinds. Love the cutoff of the handle for a drill.

As everyone else is saying, it would be best to purchase the actual mill... the hopper and accessories can be made easy enough, but the mill would be difficult without the being a machinist/tool and die maker. The rollers would be better to be solid steel, carbon steel would be sufficient, they would need to have an aggressive knurl placed on their surface as the grain husk is hard and not easily grabbed by just a rough surface. If you used steel or pipe tube of schedule 80 or stronger.. it would be sufficiently strong to do the job but it would also need to be knurled.
good luck whichever direction you decide to pursue.

I ordered one of those mills and it will be perfect for grains and a lot of other grinding tasks around the house. FYI - I like your setup and I come from an era when general fabrication was taught in school. It will be fun to build a hopper to slip on top for larger grain grinds. Love the cutoff of the handle for a drill.
I just removed the handle bolt and put a 1/2" (I think) machine bolt in there that fit.

I just removed the handle bolt and put a 1/2" (I think) machine bolt in there that fit.
The mill arrived yesterday and I see where to put the bolt with the head cut off for a drill (so you can still disassemble). Used a bit of deer corn to play with it and get it set up. The hopper was larger than expected and should do fine for partial grain batches. Thanks for sharing the pic. Perfect for my KISS principals for brewing.

I left the head on the bolt and found a drill head that fit it. But the principle is the same.

Back