DIY Fermentation Chiller

Well it smells like fermentation is underway, but not bubbling through my blow off tube. I am guessing the leak is where the tubing joins on the lid seal. Hopefully I have enough head space to not have krausen trying to seep through the lid.
Noticed that my plug for bottom drain / sight tube is allowing wort to pass through since I have wort in the sight tube. It was all sanitized anyway but was hoping to minimize contact outside of the vessel.

Time will tell!

I get it now. I think... :confused: One thing that keeps crossing my mind is that combining your BK/Fermenter limits production. With multiple fermenters one can have a few batches fermenting and the BK and MT are used for each batch. What am I missing?

Well no doubt having the BK tied up for fermenting is about the biggest downfall I could find regarding this in my research. But for me, it works as my work / life schedule only permits me to brew once per 3 weeks ( I do shiftwork rotation). 3 weeks in primary then straight to keg - is my intention at least.

Update: Checked gravity and sitting at 1.032 as of yesterday, and I can see fermentation in that sight glass which is kinda interesting.

I am going to give it another day then ramp temperatures up from 64F to 73F to finish up primary for another week...

Well no doubt having the BK tied up for fermenting is about the biggest downfall I could find regarding this in my research. But for me, it works as my work / life schedule only permits me to brew once per 3 weeks ( I do shiftwork rotation). 3 weeks in primary then straight to keg - is my intention at least.

Update: Checked gravity and sitting at 1.032 as of yesterday, and I can see fermentation in that sight glass which is kinda interesting.

I am going to give it another day then ramp temperatures up from 64F to 73F to finish up primary for another week...
That makes sense. You are probably making 10-12 gallon batches, whereas I’m at 6 gallons. The only way I could do 12 in one day is to start a second mash as soon as the BK is up and running on the first batch. Never tried it. I’m sure something would get left out or fubared.

Yup, aim for 11 gal usually (5.5 in 2 carboys, leaves me with full kegs). This time I may have some extra but figured try it first, adjust equipment volumes once successful...

I have done 2 batches in a day 1 time before, 12 hours of brewing. I can confirm the batch I was drinking certainly fermented by the end of that day! It was fun, but not something I would do every brew day for sure.

Been fermenting at 65 F until yesterday, upped the temperature to 73 F to finish up. Put the coil in action and success! Only took a few hours for temp to stabilize (1 hour to get up to temp, then a few cycles reducing stratification perhaps?). Very happy with that performance so far.

On a side note, I decided to change out my gasket. The tubing seal just wasn't good enough to even displace the air lock. So over the last few days I made a silicone gasket and waited forever for it to cure! You can see it laying on top of the kettle before it's installed. Put that puppy in and within 30 minutes the fluid started to move in airlock. Definitely makes me feel better about leave it to condition for another 2 weeks before racking...

20180125_130854-1612x1209.jpg 20180125_131539-1612x1209.jpg 20180125_135235-1209x1612.jpg

Also attached a picture of inside. Never seen Safale US-05 drop krausen so fast, usually i gotta swirl my carboys a few times to get it to drop after hitting FG. I am still expecting another 7 points (at 70% attenuation so far). Definetly weird. Can't help but wonder the worse.

20180125_130819-1209x1612.jpg

It should be fine whilst active fermentation is going on but yeah id want it well sealed for the 2 week conditioning phase you dont want it oxidising while its conditioning but the co2 should be sealed in there from your improvised silicone seal. Cool how you can see the wort in the sight glass but im thinking this is a good place in future for nasty bacteria harbourage?

Yeah, mentioned that earlier. It wasn't supposed to happen, the pressure made it past my make-shift plug for the bottom drain. Everything was sanitized in case so I am not overly worried but anything can happen !

Back