DIY Fermentation Chiller

sn00ky

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello strangers! Seems I drifted away for a while. Just in the testing of a long awaited idea at a cheap DIY fermentation chiller. Water cooler, recirculating through a coil in the keggle. This is going to be my first attempt at also fermenting in my kettle, I have read mixed reviews but want to give it a go.

Managed to get the cooler from work for free, picked up another unit that had the hot water tank (fitted into the void of the water cooler) for 30 bucks, and then the SS coil ran me 52. Everything else I had laying around left over from other projects.

FYI, the copper is just for testing, SS is on the way.

So far been able to heat up to 80+ deg F (didn't go higher as I won't need to, but could go a lot more easily)
Been able to cool to 40 deg F without any additional help. However my ambient temp is about 60 deg F. In summer, I am hoping to keep fermentation temps ok, but possibly use a cooler full of ice to assist any "crash cooling" I might do.

Thoughts and opinions welcome!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    580 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    711.5 KB · Views: 1,808
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    910.6 KB · Views: 964
Hello strangers! Seems I drifted away for a while. Just in the testing of a long awaited idea at a cheap DIY fermentation chiller. Water cooler, recirculating through a coil in the keggle. This is going to be my first attempt at also fermenting in my kettle, I have read mixed reviews but want to give it a go.

Managed to get the cooler from work for free, picked up another unit that had the hot water tank (fitted into the void of the water cooler) for 30 bucks, and then the SS coil ran me 52. Everything else I had laying around left over from other projects.

FYI, the copper is just for testing, SS is on the way.

So far been able to heat up to 80+ deg F (didn't go higher as I won't need to, but could go a lot more easily)
Been able to cool to 40 deg F without any additional help. However my ambient temp is about 60 deg F. In summer, I am hoping to keep fermentation temps ok, but possibly use a cooler full of ice to assist any "crash cooling" I might do.

Thoughts and opinions welcome!
Looking sweet Sn00ky! I have nothing to suggest but am very impressed, and dare i say a wee bit envious. keep us posted!

Thanks! Should look ok and tuck away nicely in the corner when the panels are back on. Pretty excited.

Is that some sorta alien space project youve got going on there snook i cant make heads or tails of it but admire your creativity. What did you run outta beer:p!

Using bottles of ice in a cooler and circulating the water though it allows me to get the temperature of the keg down to 36F. I think that should suffice for a sort of "cold crash" prior to racking into kegs from primary. Hopefully I can do similar to that when ambient temperature is 75+.

My water from cooler was about 33F - small mix of RV antifreeze just to keep it from solidifying. I wonder would salt allow me to get a few degrees cooler?

Seems the set temperature on the cool side is managing to stay within 0.25 deg!

Got some shiny new 304 finally! Managed to get the coil turned. Not quite as tight as I had hoped but first time doing stainless steel and by myself was a trying task!

Anyone ever cut holes in bungs ? Looks like I need to build a coring bit from pipe...should be fun

Attachments

• 20180110_222720-1209x1612.jpg
    20180110_222720-1209x1612.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 461
  • 20180110_222733-1209x1612.jpg
    20180110_222733-1209x1612.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 439
  • 20180110_222835-1209x1612.jpg
    20180110_222835-1209x1612.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 411
Hey sn00ky

Coil looks good. It was easy for me with copper. You may want to consider getting the risers on the coil close together. I tied mine together with copper wire. That way, if you boil your hops in a bag, @ 10 min remaining with the boil, you can lift the hop bag with one hand and put the chiller in with the other hand, replacing the hop bag on top of the chiller for the last 10 min.

If you just dump your hops in the BK without using a bag, then you are good to go.

I’m sure others have a better idea.

Yeah I found my copper much easier to work with, but ithink having a second person would have been the key

Good idea with the up lines, I planned on it but hadn't considered those facts , now I will !

Yeah its tough stuff stainless i aplaud your creativity and sticking to your guns and following this task through all in the persuit of exceptional beer! And maybe a more smoother production process too...

Made some progress this afternoon, here's the pics. Going to need thick silicon for the gasket, any ideas ? A kitchen place mat is too small and thin...
20180113_153248-1209x1612.jpg 20180113_163331-1209x1612.jpg 20180113_163537-1209x1612.jpg 20180113_163542-1209x1612.jpg 20180113_163345-1209x1612.jpg

Perhaps a piece of silicone tubing slice down to lengthways all the way around...

Managed to get it buttoned up ready for brew day. If all goes well I'll be needing a red ale in the morning! Tucked in nicely to my little stow away corner.

20180115_205452-1209x1612.jpg

Well, we'll see how it goes. Brewday done, Irish Red Ale, 1.054. fermenter is all sealed up and already down to 18C. Fingers crossed !!!
20180116_164904-1512x2016.jpg

Oh lightbulb moment! I think I finally see what your up to there snook with your brewery rocket space probe project :p. I thought for a moment you may be working for the North Koreans behind the scenes using your beer project as a sort of perfect alibi ha ha :D!

Well well so your using the cooler to chill / maintain fermentation temperature by pumping that chilled water through your sealed fermentor/keg? What have you got to regulate it with an STC type controller or something to turn on a pump and cycle water through the coil untill temp is reached? Well the Imersion chiller is pretty good at dropping the wort to pitching temps why not use it to regulate fermentation. Ah your a clever fella Snook and you get a big stainless fermentation vassal to go with it.

Alright I'll get back to me beer now...

Thanks @Mase

@Trialben You got me figured! Lol

I can heat or cool with this set up as I put relays to turn on heat or oil and just leave the same pump run when needed. I just use a microcontroller, it runs all of my brew chambers.

Apparently drunk me likes gadgets, sober me shakes his head hahah

Back