Dishwasher glasses

So they say. So does dish soap.

It's not the dishwasher necessarily- it's supposed to be Jet Dry or other rinse agents that are blamed for the head retention issues.

To check to see if it's the glass, you can do a saltwater "scrub". Just moisten the glass, sprinkle with table salt, and then "scour" the glass inside and around the rim with the salt and then rinse very well. That will take off any residue that may be on your beer glasses.

I was my glassware in the dishwasher, but don't use Jet Dry and make my own dish detergent so I don't have any issues.

It's not the dishwasher necessarily- it's supposed to be Jet Dry or other rinse agents that are blamed for the head retention issues.

To check to see if it's the glass, you can do a saltwater "scrub". Just moisten the glass, sprinkle with table salt, and then "scour" the glass inside and around the rim with the salt and then rinse very well. That will take off any residue that may be on your beer glasses.

I was my glassware in the dishwasher, but don't use Jet Dry and make my own dish detergent so I don't have any issues.
I'm goinf to try that

I often rinse glasses before pouring beer, but not consistently at all. I've never had a clean glass destroy the head. Same thing before I kegged...never had an issue with glassware and head retention.
If it's bottle to bottle, I'd suspect the bottle conditioning. You may be getting inconsistent carbonation and/or you may have sanitation issues there. Diacetyl can be a big factor in "dead-head" syndrome.

I often rinse glasses before pouring beer, but not consistently at all. I've never had a clean glass destroy the head. Same thing before I kegged...never had an issue with glassware and head retention.
If it's bottle to bottle, I'd suspect the bottle conditioning. You may be getting inconsistent carbonation and/or you may have sanitation issues there. Diacetyl can be a big factor in "dead-head" syndrome.
Ya it doesnt happen with every beer and when it does it still tatste good and is carbonated but no head or lacing....better pbw my bottles before next time. My keg beers head seems fine

Reactions: J A
Yeah...when I bottled, I started doing a PBW soak on every single bottle just in case. It could certainly be a glass issue, but just to be safe, it's not a bad practice.

I wash my glasses in the dishwasher with jet dry and have zero issues with head retention and my beers have great lacing as well, I do rinse every glass with cold water before pouring.

Yooper how about posting that dishwasher soap recipt?....:)

I wash my glasses in the dishwasher with jet dry and have zero issues with head retention and my beers have great lacing as well, I do rinse every glass with cold water before pouring.

Yooper how about posting that dishwasher soap recipt?....:)
I think it must be whayJA was talking about... keg beer is fine in the same glasses. Gonna do a pbw wash and see

I've listened to a few books that talk about using soap to clean the glasses, and making sure they are totally clean. They both focused more on the molecular level of what could be left behind in the glass after washing, or after towel drying. While the glass appears to be clean with all sediment removed, as soon as you pour that pint, bubbly, or soda in, there is a ton of head. Obviously, with that in mind, it would infer that if you rinsed the glass, as of us, and most pubs do, there will be a significant reduction on the head as the different particles are not attached to the glass.

Try a side by side comparison. It's very interesting to see the results.

the key here is the soap or amount you use, can you smell the soap in a hot glass just out of the dishwasher, I can’t in mine so it's all good but there was a time with an old dishwasher that was replaced that I could and i didn't like that first pour at all and would rush to rewash the glass by hand right before pouring

Back