Diluting my Wort and final calculations

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by Killcarewave, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Killcarewave

Killcarewave New Member

Hi Guys.

I "no chill" and often mash a 30L batch and then split it into two 15L cubes. They're similar to a fresh wort kit. When chilled to a suitable fermentation temp I tip one cube into the fermenter and top it up with about 5L to total about 20L of Wort. As for the other 15L cube I either give it away or ferment it at a later date.

Does Brewers Friend have the ability to calculate and take into account the fact I am essentially diluting the beer by topping it up???

Cheers and thank you in advance.

2. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    I know there is a dilution and boil off calculator here on site In tools section but I think that's when diluting to a desired final gravity volume.
    Good luck

Killcarewave likes this.
  3. J A

J A Well-Known Member

I have no idea what the current version of the calculator is doing but originally the batch size and boil size were all you needed to account for topping up. If your batch size is 5 gallons and you have a 5 gallon pot that would only allow a 4 gallon boil, you'd simply make the boil size fit, using enough grain to make a high-gravity wort for boiling and add water at the end of boil. IBUs and gravity would take care of themselves.
    With the way they've been re-jiggering the recipe calculator lately, all bets are off...good luck. ;)

Trialben and Craigerrr like this.
  4. Killcarewave

Killcarewave New Member

Yeahhhhhh see how I go. I know Beersmith has what I'm after but CBF switching programs. All good!!!

5. Yooper

Yooper Administrator
    Staff Member

Happily retired
    Yes. You put in your boil volume, and your fermenter volume and the software will give you the numbers.