Densimeter

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by Gel, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Gel

Gel New Member

Hey guys,
    I start brewing my beer in small quantities (4 L) and I ask me if it's possible to leave the densimeter in the demijohn during the fermentation? Like that i don't lose beer...
    Thanks for your help.
    Gel

2. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

i assume that's like a hydrometer?
    I've left it in a carboy once or twice for the same reason, but it's difficult to read through the side of the carboy with the krausen. didn't seem to hurt the hydrometer any, but I had to be careful getting it out of the carboy

3. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Only if there is plenty of room for it to float. It's unlikely that you would be able to get an accurate reading, though maybe if you pushed it down with the airlock and removed that to let it float up, it might work. Two obvious problems that I see are the likelihood that kausening residue will be all over it and make it impossible to read and the possiblity that it could float up and clog the airlock outlet would make a blowout very likely.
    In all, not a great idea. You could maybe drop it in during secondary and leave it there until racking for bottling.

4. Gel

Gel New Member

Thank you both for your help, I mean it's a good idea if I drop it in during the secondary. I will try and thanks again.

5. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

IT Manager
    You're probably better off getting a turkey baster and a hydrometer tube to be fair. I've trashed a lot of things trying to get them out of a carboy after I thought it was a good diea.

J A, Mase, Trialben and 1 other person like this.
  6. fastengine

fastengine New Member

Mechanic / Machinist
    If you want you can wait for the krausen to drop before putting the hydrometer in the carboy. Your only concern is that the ferment is done and the reading is stable so it will only be in there for a couple of days. Just make sure it is sanitized.

Gel likes this.