Decoction Calculator

TheZel66

Trial Member
Reaction score
Suppose I want to do a single decoction mash, with a protein rest at 140F. Does Brewer's Friend have a caculator that will tell you how much mash to take out and decoct to get the mash to 151F when the decoction is re-introduced back into the mash?

At this time we don't have a decoction calculator.

It is something we can look into supporting down the road.

I'm using Brewers friend for the first time, I'm brewing tomorrow. I'm making a NEIPA and like to use a decoction to mash out. It thins out a thick mash from the oats and decreases the possibility of a stuck sparge. I'm bummed Brewers friend doesn't have a decoction calculator. I was using brew toads calculator but it's no more. I'm having trouble finding one.

Second. The equation is rather easy:

decoction volume = total mash volume * (target temp - start temp) / (boil temp - start temp)

Plus 15% - 20%. It works for both fahrenheit and celsius.

It's the mass and temperature that matters. If you can manage to weigh what you pull out of the mash, you can do a simple calculation to get you there using this: https://rechneronline.de/chemie-rechner/mix-temperatures.php or something similar. Just have to use weight instead of volume, though there may not be a lot of difference in the weight/volume ratio of wet grain and water.

For example if you have 10 lbs of grain at 1.5 qts/lb the combined weight of water and grain would be about 41 lbs. In the calculator I referenced, you can fill in the current mash temp and decoction temp (212?), target mash temp and the total weight and it'll calculate the weight of mash/grain you need to pull out.
Like this:
upload_2019-5-18_17-38-12.png

Back