Cream Ale addition?

Any hop suggestions?
I was thinking noble hops, but since this is an American style, I may have to go American hop (but I don't think I have those ;) )

Any hop suggestions?
I was thinking noble hops, but since this is an American style, I may have to go American hop (but I don't think I have those ;) )
You could bitter with galena, that would be a good cream ale. Not a ton of late hop additions in a traditional cream ale. Or use a noble hop as a late addition

I figure I could use any percentage as it won't interfere with filtration as I biab.
Taste obviously will be affected.

We got 2 types of mieliemeal here. Roller & breakfast.
Breakfast has additions like vitamins added and is a little coarser (my staff prefers it), I think roller would be better?
This time of year I can also get dried or fresh kernels.

Off topic: try a bit of coarse ground corn when loading pizza or bread in the oven. Works a dream compared to flour. It's like it is sliding on ball bearings ;)

I figure I could use any percentage as it won't interfere with filtration as I biab.
Taste obviously will be affected.

We got 2 types of mieliemeal here. Roller & breakfast.
Breakfast has additions like vitamins added and is a little coarser (my staff prefers it), I think roller would be better?
This time of year I can also get dried or fresh kernels.

Off topic: try a bit of coarse ground corn when loading pizza or bread in the oven. Works a dream compared to flour. It's like it is sliding on ball bearings ;)
My father used to work on an overhead paper cutter. It cuts paper and cardboard 2 meters wide and 15 cm thick. Monster machine, cut your arms off easily. He used corn meal (mielie) as a lubricant to let him move 100 kg of paper with a finger. I suspect pizzas are lighter than that.

For my vannila cream ale. In 6 1/2 days with it sitting on the vanilla beans. The reciepe only called for 5 days. I still dont taste them. So i went ahead a cold crashed. I will transfer to keg tomorrow and taste sample.

Maybe mixing the beer up during kegging will bring the flavors out? Anyone with experience here?

My method is pressure ferment and put vanilla beans split and cut up into a muslin bag suspended with magnets until ready to drop. Dropped them when primary was complete.

OK, bringing this one back up as Bunjippy is almost ready to bottle so I can use BRY 97 trub...

80 % pilsner malt
15 % nshima (polenta)
5 % sugar

Aim for about 5% ABV.
OG around 1.044 (I had high attenuation with Bunyip)

1 hour mash at 67 oC

Galena at first wort, around 25 ibu
Saaz or perle at flame out, maybe 5 ibu

1 hour boil

Fermentation at 18 oC

On trub of BRY 97

Does that sound OK?

OK, bringing this one back up as Bunjippy is almost ready to bottle so I can use BRY 97 trub...

80 % pilsner malt
15 % nshima (polenta)
5 % sugar

Aim for about 5% ABV.

1 hour mash at 67 oC

1 hour boil

Fermentation at 18 oC

On trub of BRY 97

Does that sound OK?
Sounds perfect.

So an update on my cream ale. Originally I used 3 grade A beans from madagascar. Secondary on them for 7 day. No vanilla flavor.

So I removed them and added 5 Grade B beans (Tahitian). After 1 day the beans were noticable. Prol great for most people. The 2nd day it was perfect for me. A strong vanilla flavor (not over powering) it also gave the beer a percieved sweetness which is exactly what I was hoping for. 5 people have tried it other than me and they all liked it.

Next time ill try 3 grade b tahitian beans for 5 days?

Last edited:
Just wondering:
Can I just put the corn flour (polenta) in with the 1 step mash?

80 % pilsner malt
15 % nshima (polenta)
5 % sugar

Aim for about 5% ABV.

1 hour mash at 67 oC

1 hour boil

Fermentation at 18 oC

On trub of BRY 97

Does that sound OK?
I'd cut the bittering especially since you're adding sugar.
And I'd cook the corn before adding it to the mash.

Thanks
That will change my plans a little as that means I should tie in with lunch time of my staff, so they can do the cooking for me :D
This stuff is a pain to prepare

Thanks
That will change my plans a little as that means I should tie in with lunch time of my staff, so they can do the cooking for me :D
This stuff is a pain to prepare
Polenta? Just add it to boiling water and simmer 20 min until it thickens. Or use extra water if you're just going to brew it.
But yeah, if someone else can do it, let them.

When adding corn, you should be mindful of the proportion you are adding, as too much corn can lead to a cloying sweetness and a thin body. It's better to start with a small percentage and adjust as you go.

Adding maple syrup can add a subtle sweetness and unique flavor to the beer, but it is important to use it in moderation to avoid overpowering the other flavors. Adding fruit, such as raspberry or blueberry, can also add a unique twist to the beer and can complement the sweetness of the corn.

I just came across this thread again.
@Zambezi Special , how'd your cream ale come out?
And, why not introduce us to your staff? If love you see who's helping you out.

Back