Corn Sugar

The problem with citing that single comparative experiment (aside from the larger statistical-significance issues that Nosy mentions) more participants actually seemed to prefer the beer made with table sugar over the beer made with corn sugar:
"The 18 participants who made the accurate selection on the triangle test were instructed to complete a brief preference survey comparing only the beers that were different. A total of 8 tasters reported preferring the dextrose beer and 10 liked the sucrose beer more."
It reinforces the notion that there's not an advantage to using the more expensive dextrose. If you're really concerned about using sugar right out of the bag, get some cream of tarter (or have lactic acid on hand) and make some invert sugar that's exactly the same as the expensive Belgian Candi-syrup. It's super easy and you can cook a little golden color into it and add to the flavor profile if you want.
Split not far from even but your right it's a preference thing and cane sugar being cheeper will most likely win hands down as preferred simple sugar. I need to try invert sugar some day. Maybe I've gotta go all Belgian in the brewery and test these styles out ive just got too hung up on hoppy ales and light lager of late...:rolleyes:

What purpose do you suppose it would serve in this beer? To dry it out?
Boosting alcohol is the typical motivation. IPAs aren't usually noticeably dry-finishing beers. Without some residual sugars, the hop bitterness can be overpowering. In the right percentage, it could contribute to a certain crispness that can be desirable but there's not much reason that you can't get the desired result using the right malt and mash schedule.
Ingredient list alone is not what determines the final product. The corn sugar or other sugar addition isn't going to make or break the beer.
As to your initial question, you can add it anywhere from wort collection to primary fermentation. Just be sure you check the "late addition" box if it doesn't go in during the boil because gravity has a bearing on IBU contribution from the hops.

Fermentable sugar in beer serves three purposes: It thins body, it reduces flavors and it creates alcohol. It won't "dry it out", that's attenuation. In an IPA, I'd guess it's to reduce malt flavors and allow the hops to shine through. Since it's a British IPA, its likely function is to punch up alcohol.

Reactions: J A
Split not far from even but your right it's a preference thing and cane sugar being cheeper will most likely win hands down as preferred simple sugar. I need to try invert sugar some day. Maybe I've gotta go all Belgian in the brewery and test these styles out ive just got too hung up on hoppy ales and light lager of late...:rolleyes:
I have a Saison going I can hardly wait to finish! It's a Dupont clone, made with uber-finicky 3724 yeast but it's throwing flavors of orange marmalade. Slow fermentation though but by using the refractometer to monitor it, I can see it isn't "stuck", just slow.

Invert sugar is easy to make at home - no need to waste the big bucks on premade Belgian sugar! Plenty of recipes on the Interwebs but basically you make a simple syrup with some acid, then cook it until it's as brown as you'd like.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the edjumucation

Back