Cooling Again!

use 160F pbw water or so and the same acid rinse you don't need to do that every time

Holy cow! Looks like you probably found your cause. AND my paranoia about taking my gear apart to clean it has been confirmed!!

I use white house hold vinegar and water (about 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water) to sanitize my "recycled" bottles before I run them through the dishwasher and to get the really stuck on crud out of the glass carboys when I used them (but NEVER put boiling water into a glass carboy. Just NEVER). Cheaper than PBW or Starsan and less hassle to rinse out than Oxy. It is also a natural acid so I am never worried about chemical traces in the beer nor any significant impact on the ph of the beer if I miss any while rinsing, it leaves no residue, safe on skin, pets, and kids. And best of all...it is cheap cheap cheap. I've never had an infection yet. Seems to eat the crud pretty well.

White vinegar can effect/ruin the passivity layer in stainless vessels so be careful using it on them and I would NOT use it to soak rubber or teflon gaskets.

my 2 cents anyway

why Ben? I use citric acid to passivate SS. After you clean with something like PBW you should run some mild acid like starsan through it.

why Ben? I use citric acid to passivate SS. After you clean with something like PBW you should run some mild acid like starsan through it.
True true well next time i brew usually within a week there will be some mild acid wort running through it;).

in the end.... often we struggle with sanitation. We think we have our processes down and don't give thought to furthering our efforts.. however, we can learn that there are areas which we think everything is good.. and anyway, improvements can be made because obviously items outside of our thought process get contaminated and although they may not impact all of us at the moment, they will show their ugly head at sometime in the future. Steve obviously found an issue that will impact all of us at some moment, even if it isn't this moment... and we can learn from each others oversights. The corrosion, although it may less impactfull if we run boiling wort through the fittings at each brew day, will eventually impact all of us. I am happy for Steve that he found, at the very least, a possible source of contamination ... and hope that correcting this issue will provide him with better brew in the very near future. congrats, Steve. please let us know how the next brew turns out.

Back