Cooler Mash Tun Bag

It works great, I just lift the bag out and dump it. Then a quick spin through the washing machine and it's ready to go again.

The main reason I went with the elbow rather than leaving the braid in was to reduce dead space. I measured the dead space with water and had 6.5 ounces in my 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler with the elbow. If I tilt it I only leave a couple of ounces. With the braid alone, I had almost 26 ounces (almost the same with a bazooka screen).
View attachment 4766
An advantage the Rubbermaid cooler has is a screw on lid, allowing me to raise the bag a few inches off of the bottom and screw the lid on to hold it there once the second runnings have been collected. That allows it to drain and reduce grain absorption to BIAB level as well. With the elbow pointing downward and resting almost on the bottom there isn't a problem with sucking the bag in.
The old tun is getting pretty scarred up from countless mashes. May be time to get a replacement.

She's just now getting seasoned up!
What's your max grain capacity on that do you know? I am looking at 24.5 lb load coming up, and the mash is going to push the limits on my rectangle.

25# at 1.25qt./lb. is about the limit. I usually mash at about 1.5qt./lb. which brings it down to about 21.5

Back