Color of the bottles...brown, green or clear???

Amager Hop

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just finalished my first batch and fermentation is ongoing.

I'm now preparing the bottling process and have some bottles available...in many colors! Should I stay with the brown bottles and not use the fine clear bottles with capsules...

Depends on where you store the bottles and how fast you drink but the consensus is brown to prevent skunky beer

I use mostly brown and some green, but the beer is stored in boxes and in a closet or other dark place. I don't bother saving and using clear bottles, though you could use some in a pinch as long as they're kept shielded from light until you drink them.

Cool...I will try with a single bottle. The bottles will be stored in a dark basement.

I assume it's the sunlight that isn't reflected while using clear bottles.

Thanks.

from what I understand, it's the UV part of sunlight that's the problem. That breaks down the hops and skunks the beer. But like everyone here, I still keep my brown bottles in the pantry.

Fun extra fact: some breweries intentionally spoil their beer slightly this way. Heineken is one of them.

Kinda goes to show that one persons flaw is another persons favorite. Or how different our palates are. Or that flavor is in the mouth of the beer holder. Or something like that :roll:

jmcnamara said:
from what I understand, it's the UV part of sunlight that's the problem. That breaks down the hops and skunks the beer. But like everyone here, I still keep my brown bottles in the pantry.

Fun extra fact: some breweries intentionally spoil their beer slightly this way. Heineken is one of them.

Kinda goes to show that one persons flaw is another persons favorite. Or how different our palates are. Or that flavor is in the mouth of the beer holder. Or something like that :roll:
Yep. Tasted a Czech Pilsner last Friday that was, very likely, much closer to what the Czechs drink, a diacetyl bomb. While a beer judge in the US would call it flawed, it was quite good with the butterscotch note complementing the hops and malt. Diacetyl is a no-no in beers designed to stay in the supply chain a long time. Fresh, it tastes nice, but once it oxidizes, yuck! A flaw is only a flaw if it detracts from the beer. Budweiser brews for acetalehyde, Belgians feature phenolics that would disqualify a Pilsner, and so on. But on bottle color, brown is cheapest and most UV stable so I'd go with brown.

Nosybear said:
... Budweiser brews for acetalehyde, ...

So that's why I can't stand to drink Budweiser. :lol:

Back