Cold IPA?

I used the Hazy and Hoppy recipe, and dry hopped in the fermenter on day 2 at high krausen. This W-34/70 works fast at warmer temps! OG 1060 down to 1011 on day 5. Transferred to secondary on day 6 for 2 days, now in fridge @ 34˚:

View attachment 27642

I have to finish a keg of either Vienna SMaSH or Munich SMaSH before I can keg it. It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it….
I was actually thinking man you got hardly any trub at the bottom makes sense now you secondary.

You could theoretically call it a "brite tank"...

This podcast just came out. It interviews a couple of pro brewers from Firestone Walker, Hop Butcher and the Cold IPA originator Kevin Davey.

https://beerandbrewing.com/podcast-...ith-sam-tierney-kevin-davey-and-jude-la-rose/

After listening to it, it seems there a varied opinions of what is a Cold IPA and what is not. The biggest thing I got out of it was to make a high gravity American Lager and hop it like an IPA; also to reduce sulfur as much as possible in the finish beer. The favorite yeast seems to be 34/70 at higher temps.

If I get around to it, I might have to brew one up!

Well I am out of the loop! I have never heard of a cold IPA being a style!
I've herd it mentioned for atleast most this year if not last...

Always something new on the brewing scene I just hope we aren't reinventing the wheel here Czech pilsner is hard to beat and it's heavily hopped with Sazz now personally that is hard to beat ;)

I've herd it mentioned for atleast most this year if not last...

Always something new on the brewing scene I just hope we aren't reinventing the wheel here Czech pilsner is hard to beat and it's heavily hopped with Sazz now personally that is hard to beat ;)
Amen!

I’ve been using a secondary for over 20 years. I find I get a clearer beer and a cleaner pour from my kegs.
20 years! You are a far more experienced brewer than I!
I am always open to learning!
Do you cold crash in secondary?
How do you transfer from secondary to keg?

I have been out of the loop for a little while!

I haven't seen one around yet?!?? Maybe it's a west coast thing?
I had a Cold IPA that came in an IPA mixer pack.
It was enjoyable, and would happily enjoy it again, and even again after that.
It was however my least favorite in that mixer pack, not to knock it mind you.
I did not feel compelled to research it, and try to brew one.

20 years! You are a far more experienced brewer than I!
I am always open to learning!
Do you cold crash in secondary?
How do you transfer from secondary to keg?
I cold crash lagers in the secondary, but not ales; they go to the keg after secondary. I use an auto siphon racking cane to transfer from primary to secondary, and from secondary to keg. It’s a vacuum pump that starts the beer flowing after a stroke or two, and has a foot on the end that keeps the intake above the trub:

273fc43a9c99f04b-133337408.jpg
hqdefault-3102961327.jpg

I had a Cold IPA that came in an IPA mixer pack.
It was enjoyable, and would happily enjoy it again, and even again after that.
It was however my least favorite in that mixer pack, not to knock it mind you.
I did not feel compelled to research it, and try to brew one.
I mean I am down in Southern Ga. We are very behind the times on beer because of our state laws. That being said, I can a lot of the big name breweries down here. Maybe it was called something else or I just did not notice it? Who knows!

I mean I am down in Southern Ga. We are very behind the times on beer because of our state laws. That being said, I can a lot of the big name breweries down here. Maybe it was called something else or I just did not notice it? Who knows!
Of course there is some debate over whether it should be called IPL, Cold IPA, so maybe you have canned something at least similar.

I cold crash lagers in the secondary, but not ales; they go to the keg after secondary. I use an auto siphon racking cane to transfer from primary to secondary, and from secondary to keg. It’s a vacuum pump that starts the beer flowing after a stroke or two, and has a foot on the end that keeps the intake above the trub:
Ah yes, I have used one of those in the past, and now I understand purpose of your secondary.
I have only ever brewed one lager, which was a Dark Czech Lager.
For me everything is pressure/closed transfer.
Damn it friend be careful with those glass carboys, they can do some serious damage.
My injury was pretty minor to some I have seen, but it took several months for my finger to fully heal.

Of course there is some debate over whether it should be called IPL, Cold IPA, so maybe you have canned something at least similar.
Not canning yet. Previous brewery we didn't make many lagers because we didnt have time or capacity.

In my mind IPL makes more sense, but i totally understand trying to differentiate between them.

Not canning yet. Previous brewery we didn't make many lagers because we didnt have time or capacity.

In my mind IPL makes more sense, but i totally understand trying to differentiate between them.
Sorry, I thought you meant that you canned beer for breweries, musta misread that
1702664962504.png

Ah yes, I have used one of those in the past, and now I understand purpose of your secondary.
I have only ever brewed one lager, which was a Dark Czech Lager.
For me everything is pressure/closed transfer.
Damn it friend be careful with those glass carboys, they can do some serious damage.
My injury was pretty minor to some I have seen, but it took several months for my finger to fully heal.
Those are just Googled images, and I’m much better looking!:p
I gave up using glass carboys long ago, and use Big Mouth Bubblers exclusively.

Although not fully carbonated yet, I just had to try a sample. BIG grapefruit aroma, a real hop bomb, yet hardly bitter at all. Something faintly sweet behind the grapefruit that takes the edge off, maybe berry? Mango?
I've hopped and dry-hopped the hell out of beers in the past, but this is completely different. My brain is still trying to figure this out; VERY drinkable, like a light beer, but at OG 1060, it’s certainly not.
I will definitely be brewing this again in the future, and experimenting with different hops in the primary to get different aromas & flavors. And the warm-ish ferment of W-34/70 will work well in my brewhouse in the winter, which hovers around 60-65˚.
Jeez, I’ve had two pints just typing this post! Delicious!

IMG_3093.JPG

Although not fully carbonated yet, I just had to try a sample. BIG grapefruit aroma, a real hop bomb, yet hardly bitter at all. Something faintly sweet behind the grapefruit that takes the edge off, maybe berry? Mango?
I've hopped and dry-hopped the hell out of beers in the past, but this is completely different. My brain is still trying to figure this out; VERY drinkable, like a light beer, but at OG 1060, it’s certainly not.
I will definitely be brewing this again in the future, and experimenting with different hops in the primary to get different aromas & flavors. And the warm-ish ferment of W-34/70 will work well in my brewhouse in the winter, which hovers around 60-65˚.
Jeez, I’ve had two pints just typing this post! Delicious!

View attachment 27700
Looks great! Are you up in the northwest? I miss Douglas Firs

I've made 3 batches of this Cold IPA variant since July '23. Last batch yesterday (snuck in my 18th batch of the year) with the only delta off the previous being i switched to a new White Labs lager yeast (WLP808). Just coming up on high krausen, so will be a few weeks before i get it into the keg and down to lager temps to see how the yeast changed things.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1350135/jbp-cold-ipa

Back