Co2 Tank Size

thunderwagn

Trial Member
Reaction score
For years I've been making due with a 5# Co2 tank. It hasn't been terrible, but over the past few years, I've added taps and taken to pressure transfers so my usage has gone up considerably. My tank is going to expire in a few months so I'm thinking it's time to go up in size. I'm leaning more towards 20# vs a 10# and either way, I'll be moving my tank to the outside of my keezer. There is a fairly considerable price increase in going the 20# route, but Morebeer actually has a 20# aluminum tank on sale now for about $120. I'm just curious what size others are using?https://www.morebeer.com/products/co2-tank-20-lb-aluminum.html

I have a 5 and 20 pound tank. I bought both new and exchanged them at Central-McGowan (local gas supplier). They accepted them and as long as I keep exchanging them with their name on the tank, they inspect them and keep them certified. I also get beverage grade CO2. Even though they are a welding shop, they carry it. The tank will specify beverage grade, otherwise it's welding gas (it works too).

You may be able to exchange the tank that's about to expire for one that's been inspected. The supplier has their name stamped into the tank, so you kind of tied into them from that point on even though you own the tank. The bonus is their CO2 is cheaper then most other places.

Yes, I have no problem exchanging my 5# tank if I want and it's cheap to fill, just an inconvenience more or less having to pull my tank every couple a months for a refill. Right now, I'm thinking the 20# just makes the most sense.

I kept my 5 pound as a back up to my 20 pound. I go through @ 40 pounds a year. That way I don't need to get co2 for a week or two after the 20 pound is gone. The 5 pound works good if you need to bring a keg somewhere.

I have two 5# and a 20# and end up using them all.The 20 sits on the 4-tap system in the garage, one of the 5s is on the kegerator the other 5 is mobile for pressurizing kegs and pressure transfers.

I've got 2 fives, but don't currently do pressure transfers and no longer use CO2 in my keg and beer line cleaning process. Now my CO2 use is pretty much confined to purging kegs, carbonating and dispensing. A 5 pounder is lasting several months now. It is nice to have a backup. When I was using a lot more CO2, a bigger tank did seem like a good idea, but I would have stayed with the 5 pounder in my keezer and got another regulator so I could use the larger tank for everything else.

I have two 10# tanks. The first one was on clearance at the local welding shop, so was a no brainer. The second I got for a steal, I bought it and 4 corny kegs for $200 CDN, or $140 US. It is nice having the back up, and the ability to take one on the road.

Back