Clarity from brewing technique

Pretty much. Almost all their experiments are inconclusive. Sometimes interesting, rarely informative.
Very informative taken on balance: Most of the beer lore they've tested made no difference. The thing that hacks me off is having to read through exactly the same brew steps every time....

20210331_103125.jpg

I have a self skimming kettle. Just step out of the room for a few seconds and it will self skim.

Very informative taken on balance: Most of the beer lore they've tested made no difference. The thing that hacks me off is having to read through exactly the same brew steps every time....
It seems that everything little thing you thought mattered, doesn't, except adding brewing salts for flavour.

I know it's a gross oversimplification and I keep looking at the little things, but it just seems to keep coming back to this. And as they're only testing the little things it probably also says that it's the big things that matter, recipe, healthy yeast, sanitation and experience.

It’s another source of experience, reading, experiments etc. I find it useful for myself considering I’m only a year into my journey. They repeatedly say stuff like “for us” or “for the people who tasted” and laugh because some will take it as gospel. I don’t I take it as an opinion to add to what I learn here and the 3 brewing magazines I get along with other podcasts.

I find that the sum of the little things matter. Consider: there has been very little science done on brewing at our scale. Most "beer lore" comes from adaptation of large scale engineering solutions designed to squeeze an extra tenth of a percent extract from malt. The big things matter. I've independently verified that brewing salts matter. Otherwise, doing the little things well is what makes good beer.

The biggest take away I got from it is how it reduces the fear of ruining a batch because you didn't get a small step right in the list of 50 things you "have" to do. When I started the first guides I found were very specific and rigid and I almost didn't bother.

This is a document I wrote several years back. The section on PVPP needs to be updated. If I use it, I add it to the last 10 minutes of the boil or I use the same technique as gelatin, adding pvpp to boiling water and then adding it immediately to the cold beer. Unlike gelatin, you can't use pvpp on beer that's already carbonated, it creates a volcano similar to adding hops to carbonated beer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-60w_IvRv3BRDdidmV5M0JhcDg/view?usp=sharing

I'm not able to access the document above?

I'm not able to access the document above?
It should be available now. Google drive changes it's security policies all the time so it can go "stale". I wrote the document several years ago, so it should be updated slightly. Hope it helps.

It should be available now. Google drive changes it's security policies all the time so it can go "stale". I wrote the document several years ago, so it should be updated slightly. Hope it helps.
I'm actually having a discussion with some of my local brewers next month and though it might be a good handout.
Thanks for putting it together.
Brian

When I started the first guides I found were very specific and rigid and I almost didn't bother.

I am the complete opposite on this one. I started brewing on a whim when the end of the world started and really didn't do much as far as looking for a guide. Figured I had mashed grains before and the only thing beer added was some hops and boil. I am just now getting to the point where I am trying to figure out all of the specifics and how to really improve.

That's honestly a better approach.

The doc worked out well and opened other topics of conversation
Thanks again and great job on it!

Back