Clarity from brewing technique

One thing I do that I don't think was mentioned yet is that I skim the hot break proteins from the top of the wort as it's coming to a boil. I think this has some controversy around it tho, some people swear it kills head retention. I'm sure there are other supposed side effects that I'm blanking on at the moment.

As the "egg drop soup" proteins rise up, I use my ladle to make a small vortex and then very slowly and gently skim off just the foam from the top of the liquid. I used to take it all out, but now I stop once it's at full boil and I know it won't boil over.
I use a defoaming product which prevents boil overs. There is still a pretty decent amount of foam, but I stir it all back in. I don't think that this has an effect on clarity.

One thing I do that I don't think was mentioned yet is that I skim the hot break proteins from the top of the wort as it's coming to a boil. I think this has some controversy around it tho, some people swear it kills head retention. I'm sure there are other supposed side effects that I'm blanking on at the moment.

As the "egg drop soup" proteins rise up, I use my ladle to make a small vortex and then very slowly and gently skim off just the foam from the top of the liquid. I used to take it all out, but now I stop once it's at full boil and I know it won't boil over.
Dr Hans does that that mad Swedish YouTube Vloger he swares by it.
I just stir it in.
Either way it's one of them brewing things I think that is controversial.

Or something ready for an experiment. Make 2 batches, skim one and stir in the other, then compare.

The scientific method probably requires this be repeated several times to address the possible effects of unrelated process differences.

I'd never heard of or thought to skim off the foam.

I heard about it on a brewing podcast last year as a method to improve clarity and I've been doing it ever seen. The beers seem to come out prettier. I can't confirm the head retention thing or if it affects flavors, but if you're kegging you can make a nice pour even if it's less foamy than you want.

I heard about it on a brewing podcast last year as a method to improve clarity and I've been doing it ever seen. The beers seem to come out prettier. I can't confirm the head retention thing or if it affects flavors, but if you're kegging you can make a nice pour even if it's less foamy than you want.
Yeah, I'm a skimmer as well. Why? Because the stuff just looks gross. :eek: So, that's my scientific explanation! And skimming gives me something to do to pass the time. I have no idea if it actually affects clarity, but I can say pretty certainly that skimming that oil slick off the top of the boil has never done any harm for my foam retention/lacing.

Yeah, I'm a skimmer as well. Why? Because the stuff just looks gross. :eek: So, that's my scientific explanation! And skimming gives me something to do to pass the time. I have no idea if it actually affects clarity, but I can say pretty certainly that skimming that oil slick off the top of the boil has never done any harm for my foam retention/lacing.
It's kind of satisfying isn't it? I put it all in a Mason jar to see how many proteins I collected compared to how much liquid wort I skimmed out

To skim or not to skim..... I used to be a skimmer. But after years counseling, I was able to kick that habit, thankfully.

Just kidding. I used to do that and I don't know if it made any difference, but it was something I could do during the boil. Now I just drink beer and watch it roll around the boil.

I use a defoaming product which prevents boil overs. There is still a pretty decent amount of foam, but I stir it all back in. I don't think that this has an effect on clarity.
When I last had a brew that was bubbling near the rim of the kettle, I threw a fairly open weave Muslin cloth over the top. The material broke up the bubbles and the gaps let the steam out.. seemed to work, it didn't boil over.

To skim or not to skim..... I used to be a skimmer. But after years counseling, I was able to kick that habit, thankfully.

Just kidding. I used to do that and I don't know if it made any difference, but it was something I could do during the boil. Now I just drink beer and watch it roll around the boil.
I would also add that I have been getting great clarity in many recent brews, and always seem to get good lacing, with no skimming.
Skim if you like, matter of personal preference I guess.

I'm really interested in any evidence on what these proteins might be doing to the beer. The explanations, if they're offered, seem to be different most time. And it's not always to remove it, a fair number give reasons to keep it in. David Heath was the last I heard, arguingto leave it in, with virtually no reasoning. It's feeling like one of those things you do based on who told it to you first and whether you respected them or not.

I'm really interested in any evidence on what these proteins might be doing to the beer. The explanations, if they're offered, seem to be different most time. And it's not always to remove it, a fair number give reasons to keep it in. David Heath was the last I heard, arguingto leave it in, with virtually no reasoning. It's feeling like one of those things you do based on who told it to you first and whether you respected them or not.
Funny one of the HB books I read back when I was beggining recommended removal of the break material I did for the first brew or two but found it's a bit hit n miss some do it some don't.
I wonder if brulosophy have done an exbeeriment on it?

I thnk they have and it was inconclusive.

I just recently listened to a podcast with the "Pope of Foam" Charlie Bamforth. He said when he was working for the Bass Brewery, they put a premium on the clarity of the beer. Clarity without compromising the head retention/mouthfeel was a sign of quality in his mind.

Proteins and dextrin all play a role in clarity, head retention and mouth feel. If you are brewing a high quality beer, the inclusion of at least one of these or both (proteins/dextrin) should come into play. I think the inclusion of protein is good as long as the tannins are reduced. Too much of either one, especially tannins, will cloud the beer, possibly leading to colloidal instability and premature staling. To much dextrin risks a thick mouth feel and risks of increasing the sweetness of the beer.

I think it's a judgement call and maybe that's why there are so many varying opinions.

I thnk they have and it was inconclusive.
Aren't all of their videos inconclusive? If there was one that was conclusive, I must have missed that one!

Aren't all of their videos inconclusive? If there was one that was conclusive, I must have missed that one!
Pretty much. Almost all their experiments are inconclusive. Sometimes interesting, rarely informative.

Back