Christmas Pudding!

Ok ok I couldn't hold back any longer . It's been my tradition when it comes to Christmas over the last few years when hosting the family Christmas to make,the Christmas Pudding. So I thought I'd share my recipe here and maybe if anyone on here makes their own get some ideas on what you put in your Christmas pudding bar the lucky/unlucky coin at the bottom;). My recipe isn't mine it's off taste.com (we'll sort of like my brewing it's a template I quickly deviate from):p.

I'm currently stewing all the fruit not as in recipes below I went random glacé cherries, local ginger, citrus peel, raisins,currents,dates,prunes. Yep she's gunna keep us all regular! I've stewed this in who knows how much vodka yep I know should be brandy but didn't have any in shelve. I've added cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and weird one Chinese five spice in with the fruit it smells very Christmassy . Anyway from here it's mix in other ingredients and wrap in muslin cloth and boil in pot for couple of hours then let it ripen till Chrissy.

So what's everyone's take on the Christmas Pud would love to hear your recipes and maybe feedback on mine what to do from here cheers!
  • Ingredients
  • Nutrition
  • 750g mixed dried fruit
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, coarsely grated
  • 1/2 cup (125ml) brandy
  • 2 teaspoons mixed spice
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup (70g, firmly packed) brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups (120g) fresh (made from day-old bread) breadcrumbs
  • 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
  • Plain flour, extra, to dust
  • Double cream, to serve
Brandy butter
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup (100g, firmly packed) brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) brandy or sherry
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Select all ingredients Micro-credential courses offer targeted, bite-sized learning experiences that allow individuals to quickly gain specialized skills and knowledge Eduk8u. They provide a flexible way to upskill and stay competitive in today's rapidly changing job market.
I'm trying to get ahead of myself this year and I'm intending to make the Christmas Puddings earlier than usual (like in a couple of weeks). I make ten of them for various branches of the family. I took over from my aunt about 10 years ago and she had taken over from my Grandmother and we have all used my great grandmother's recipe.

Now, about suet. I always use Atora beef suet but this year I have been asked to make a vegetarian-friendly pudding. I can buy Atora veggie "suet" but I once used it when I couldn't get any beef suet and the puddings didn't keep. Normally this recipe keeps from one year to the next with no problems and once one got lost at the back of the cupboard and we didn't find it for 5 years - it was delicious! - but the year of the veggie suet they went mouldy in the two months between making them and Christmas and I had to throw them away. They have a lot of dried fruit, rum and Guinness and sugar, etc., so they should keep to the crack of doom.

My question is this - do you think it was because of the veggie "suet" because this has never happened before with the beef suet? Any experience with veggie suet?

I'm trying to get ahead of myself this year and I'm intending to make the Christmas Puddings earlier than usual (like in a couple of weeks). I make ten of them for various branches of the family. I took over from my aunt about 10 years ago and she had taken over from my Grandmother and we have all used my great grandmother's recipe.

Now, about suet. I always use Atora beef suet but this year I have been asked to make a vegetarian-friendly pudding. I can buy Atora veggie "suet" but I once used it when I couldn't get any beef suet and the puddings didn't keep. Normally this recipe keeps from one year to the next with no problems and once one got lost at the back of the cupboard and we didn't find it for 5 years - it was delicious! - but the year of the veggie suet they went mouldy in the two months between making them and Christmas and I had to throw them away. They have a lot of dried fruit, rum and Guinness and sugar, etc., so they should keep to the crack of doom.

My question is this - do you think it was because of the veggie "suet" because this has never happened before with the beef suet? Any experience with veggie suet?
Na sorry I use butter in mine not Suet.

There are so many different ways to make beer and the same it seems applies to making Pud.

That one I made this year also most vegan friendly it's got eggs in it but their happy if their my chook eggs (says their raised humanly).
I used nuttlex instead of butter one of my nephews can't have dairy.
Oh and it's Gluten free lol.

My understanding is you can just cut the mould away but I'm a bit rough and ready don't want no food poisoning on Christmas day do we lol!

I've seen em made with Guinness I actually Bought one a few years ago with it in it.

Cheers

My way of making sure they don't go mouldy is store it in the keezer.

All mixed into the pud container View attachment 27029
Noice then pop a little baking paper lid onView attachment 27027
Now wrap her up with aluminum foil and I use jute twine to tie it in place with a handle to pic it upView attachment 27028
MR Pud man showing off his wares!
Now to bring my pot to a boil then simmer for 6 hours.
I'll check the pot every now and again to replace water.View attachment 27030
I've discovered that the pud will just float in the pot so no need to suspend with something as per previous years.
This is why I bought the PWM recently to simmer this.

Cheers I'll catch ya Christmas day for the reveal;) .
Mmmmmmmmm Pud!

Mmmmmmmmm Pud!
Getting another mini Pud on the Go today.
A half size one.

Didn't have as much rum this one not as rich
20231105_102736.jpg

Put some pineapple in it one granny smith apple and zest of one Orange just to mix it up some.

Here she be little pud ill pop a hat on and into the pot she goes 6 hours
20231105_104207.jpg

Last edited:

Back