Chocolate malts opinion please! Extract brewing.

Kosh

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have never used pale chocolate malts but have read some articles stating the pale is slightly better on the chocolate flavor and aroma, and less on coffee notes. (I would like that) So any truth to this? most times i also add nibs to keg for roughly 7 days to bump the flavor up. Thinking that increasing my crystal 40 a bit would do good with the chocolate as well... opinions?

I like pale chocolate malt- its smoother than the darker roasted chocolate. I am not a person who actually likes the flavor of chocolate, and I don’t get much “chocolate” flavor out of chocolate malt so I do like the malt. The pale is just less astringent and roasted barley flavor to me.

Wow you dont like chocolate flavour that must be pretty rare Yooper?

I've been tasting a slight chocolaty/coffee flavour from Thomas Fawcett's pale choc malt also got it in combination with caraffa 1. And no astringent as above.

Yeah i said flavor but meant perception of flavor. my sense of smell is very good and it can trick the tongue at times which is both a good and bad thing. for instance i hate the way some food smells like okra, but love the taste. my super sniffer can get in the way (big nose joke?). but it allows me to really enjoy my beers from a nice glass.

Anyway thanks for replies! I'll try a few different chocolate malts including the pale. I do like to experiment! Amazing how much the o'l snout can influence perceptions of taste. Still can't see why some folks insist on drinking from bottles! Perhaps they don't care for that great beer aroma... if i have no glass then the beer remains capped! we're all different! cheers!

Back