Chocolat Coffee Stout

plane

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I would like your feedback/advice on this recipe I made using ingredients I had.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Chocolate & Coffee Stout - Test.pdf
    392.8 KB · Views: 106
Having made a coffee stout. Go easy. A little goes a long way. I didn't steep it though. Just put in the fermenter with the nibs, cold brew style

Loaded the recipe up.

Screenshot_20231115_142246_OneDrive.jpg

S-05 will dry it out and it will work, but it is very neutral. Have you thought of something along the lines of a WLP004 to give it a little character?

Hi!

I would like your feedback/advice on this recipe I made using ingredients I had.

Thank you!
I actually like the recipe as-is, quite a bit. I like the choice of malts and the moderate level of IBU's.

My one attempt at a Coffee Stout came out decent enough but I found there was a rather narrow window when the beer hit its stride. Initially the coffee was a bit strong, then it mellowed out a bit to a really nice level...but the coffee soon faded into the background.

I've never been happy with my attempts at pulling chocolate from Cacao nibs and I would love to hear how you make out.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

i may have missed something- was there supposed to be some oatmeal in it? I am trying to make a chocolate stout lactose-free and was interested in asking if you got that thicker mouthfeel and some residual sweetness that I think of in a sweet chocolate/coffee stout. Thx

I've done a few revs of my choc/coffee stout. For later batches, I've been toasting the cacao nibs before using them. I can't find the article that recommended doing this, but it does seem to bring out the flavor more.

My recipe notes are:

Use cacao nibs roasted according to this schedule:
  • 350 °F (177 °C) for 10 minutes
  • 325 °F (163 °C) for 5 minutes
  • 300 °F (150 °C) for 5 minutes
  • 275 °F (135 °C) for 5-10 minutes or until done.
    When the roasting is right, there will an aroma of brownies. You could go longer too for deeper more complex flavors.

Cacao nibs are added to the mash.

i may have missed something- was there supposed to be some oatmeal in it? I am trying to make a chocolate stout lactose-free and was interested in asking if you got that thicker mouthfeel and some residual sweetness that I think of in a sweet chocolate/coffee stout. Thx
flaked oats will give you a silky mouth feel that you may want in a stout. I dont thinnk t will give you any residual sweetness. try mashing on the higher end of the range and you should be able to get a mash that wont ferment out very dry and still have some sweet left over.

This is one I've brewed twice and it was very nice.
I copied it from Burtus brewery online I also scaled it down a bit cus I'm a liteweight.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/509259/choccoffee-stout

Tasting notes
Very tasty head retention sucks not sure why but maybe something to do with the nibs.
Smooth choc coffee aromas would like to add some vanilla I think this could take it too the next level

@plane
I used Carafa 1 in that thar I always find especially from Carrafa 2 I get chocolate and coffee notes.
Personally I've herd bad things about black patent I'd lean more towards Caraffa or Midnight wheat for a smoother roast flavour with coffee chocolate notes instead of acrid ashtray.
My 2c

Oh one more thing I've found brewing stout is watch that PH from the roast malts don't push too low I find this can lead to flabby mouthfeel I've used baking soda with good results to push this PH up.

Last edited:
I copied it from Burtus brewery online I also scaled it down a bit cus I'm a liteweight.

Tasting notes
Very tasty head retention sucks not sure why but maybe something to do with the nibs.
Smooth choc coffee aromas would like to add some vanilla I think this could take it too the next level

@plane
I used Carafa 1 in that thar I always find especially from Carrafa 2 I get chocolate and coffee notes.
ePersonally I've herd bad things about black patnt I'd lean more towards Caraffa or Midnight wheat for a smoother roast flavour with coffee chocolate notes instead of acrid ashtray.
My 2c

Oh one more thing I've found brewing stout is watch that PH from the roast malts don't push too low I find this can lead to flabby mouthfeel I've used baking soda with good results to push this PH up.
I use black patent on my chocolate milk stout. you do have to watch how much you use, but the acrid, bitter notes it adds, can balance the extra sweet from the lactose.

I use black patent on my chocolate milk stout. you do have to watch how much you use, but the acrid, bitter notes it adds, can balance the extra sweet from the lactose.
Yeah I've not put lactose in a stout.
So I keep it smooth using them roasted malts.
Well not anymore lol.

I used to mash high...

Having made a coffee stout. Go easy. A little goes a long way. I didn't steep it though. Just put in the fermenter with the nibs, cold brew style

S-05 will dry it out and it will work, but it is very neutral. Have you thought of something along the lines of a WLP004 to give it a little character?
No but my goal was to use up my ingredients before they get too old! Thanks, I'll try WLP004 in my next recipe!

No oatmeal simply because I don't have any! I have to buy all my ingredients online because there are no beer supply stores for miles! Can I use oatmeal from the grocery store? If so, which one? This will be my first time brewing this recipe so I will let you know how it turns out!

No oatmeal simply because I don't have any! I have to buy all my ingredients online because there are no beer supply stores for miles! Can I use oatmeal from the grocery store? If so, which one? This will be my first time brewing this recipe so I will let you know how it turns out!
yup, plain quaker oats work.

I've done a few revs of my choc/coffee stout. For later batches, I've been toasting the cacao nibs before using them. I can't find the article that recommended doing this, but it does seem to bring out the flavor more.

My recipe notes are:

Use cacao nibs roasted according to this schedule:
  • 350 °F (177 °C) for 10 minutes
  • 325 °F (163 °C) for 5 minutes
  • 300 °F (150 °C) for 5 minutes
  • 275 °F (135 °C) for 5-10 minutes or until done.
    When the roasting is right, there will an aroma of brownies. You could go longer too for deeper more complex flavors.

Cacao nibs are added to the mash.
This will be my first time brewing this recipe...well any chocolate coffee stout for that matter so I have no idea what it's going to taste like! My plan was to add the cacao nibs to the secondary but might change my plan and add it too the mash or try your technique on another batch. Thanks!

Tasting notes

@plane
Personally I've herd bad things about black patent I'd lean more towards Caraffa or Midnight wheat for a smoother roast flavour with coffee chocolate notes instead of acrid ashtray.
My 2c

Yes that's one of about 10 recipes I looked at to help me build mine! My goal was to use up my ingredients before they get too old and stale! Thank for the PH tip I'll keep that in mind when I brew next weekend!

Tasting notes

@plane
My 2c

Oh and what should the PH target be?

Personally, I would add some middle of the flavor range things like crystal 120. I would def add some thing in the lighter flavor range as well (munich, vienna, c15, etc). Your caramunich 3 is good, i would still think about some crystal 40.

I would also add flaked oats, but im a bit of a flaked oats whore.

Also Brown malt can add a really nice complementary flavor profile with the coffee.

I have done commercial batches of an imperial coffee stout(90bbl batches). We had trashcans full of ground coffee from a local roaster. We filled them into food grade nylon bags leaving them loose so that the coffee could move while filling the tanks. we then tied them all together and then tossed them into the Brite tank. It was A LOT of coffee, several 35gal hefty cans.

We decided to go the Cold brew steeped route instead of the hot brew or longer exposure from adding them into the fermenter. We tried all 3 methods and got the best results from the brite tank.

We transferred the finished crashed beer into the brite tank and let it sit. We recirculated the tank daily using a pump and the racking arm. Tasting it daily with 2 other people. I think it was 8 or 9% ABV.

One of my favorite Beers that i have ever brewed. It was called Moonlight Drive.

I wouldn't bother with the cocao nibs. You wont be able to taste them over the coffee IMO.

Last edited:
I would normally be against black patent as well, but with the coffee aspect, i think that it will enhance the coffee roasty flavor.

Back