Chloramine removal with potassium metabisulphate

mechamaniaboy

Trial Member
Reaction score
Please can anyone answer the following questions for me? How many grams of potassium metabisulphate powder (not tablets) should I add to 43L of liquor and when should I add it i.e the day before, during the mash, during the boil?
Your advice will be gratefully received:)

Ive read a lot of stuff about this and you need to know the concentration of chloramine in your water in order to use the correct dose so you have to test it or get the information from your water supplier, or use bottled water

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. I did think about that. Do you suppose they'll give me the dosage in ppm?

A generally accepted rate would be 1 Camden tablet per 20 gallons.
That would be about .5 grams

FYI, mg/liter and ppm are the same.

That's cause us Metric folk do things that makes sense, no rods to the hogheads! ;)

For 43L anywhere between .5 and 1 gram should be perfectly adequate. That works out to about 12 gallons and I normally put a half tablet in per 5 gallon pail of water since it's hard to split the tablets smaller than that.

you can add 500mg potassium metabisulphite to 20 gallons water or 1 tablet and its fine, remember its an instantaneous process, it will not protect after the initial reation

Back