Chinook Grapefruit...

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Radcp, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Radcp

Radcp Member

BI Developer
    This is my second take on the ultra session style but my first time using Chinook hops. Part of my goal for this brew is to make a semi bitter beer that my wife will enjoy which is why I included the grapefruit peel. According to YCH this is the dominant flavor of the Chinook and I would like to play off that. With my first ultra session I got 88% attenuation with Notty so the ABV was slightly higher than the calc. showed, which is ok with me but I dont expect 04 to get the same result. What do y'all think?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/611007/wicked-session-2-0

2. J A

J A Well-Known Member

I like it!
    I assume you know that you should "mini-mash" the Maris Otter, though depending on your steeping regimen, you won't need to do anything special, anyway. Last time I did an extract with base malt in the steep, I held in the low 150's for about 45 minutes just to be sure I got conversion - I think anything below 160 will work well for you. If you do that, you can count on more efficiency from your steeped grains. I usually count on at least 50%. It won't make a big difference but it'll raise your OG a few points higher than expected.

You're right about the S-04. I don't think I've gotten more than 80% attenuation with that yeast. I did a session Pale with Notty and it was definitely drier and thinner than I would have liked. Very similar beer with S-04 or US-05 is better, IMO.

3. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    yeah some times with some beer styles you dont want too big of attenuation. 88%! wow thats some happy hungry yeasties:).

4. Radcp

Radcp Member

BI Developer
    Yes, mini mash is complete 155f for 50 minutes and then onward!

Same here with notty, less body than I wanted but still tasty. It adds the right kind of flavors for a hoppy citrus beer.

J A likes this.
  5. Radcp

Radcp Member

BI Developer
    Wow, the S-04 blew through fermentation. 3 days in and its at 1.009! Pretty fast even though it was a little warm at 72f and gave me 75% attenuation. I dont have time to bottle until next Monday but I was not expecting this to be so quick.

J A likes this.
  6. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Definitely don't bottle yet...let it sit for a full week at room temp to finish out. S-04 at that temp will throw some acetaldehyde and you'll end up with a very "homebrew" tasting beer. And if you're patient, it may attenuate another percentage point or two.