Chill Haze

I do not use any clarifying agents and dump the whole kettle into the fermenter.

Yeah..I am trying to follow that clear wort makes clear beer thing. I have my self imposed reinheingaboats* boundaries I am trying to live by...as natural and simple as possible.

*forgive my spelling but I guess that's where 2 years of high school German gets you! That an being too lazy to go look it up! :rolleyes:

To the chill haze, was the sample you mention at room temperature?

No...I'll do a photo...Mason jar, room temp and chilled...stay tuned...but in the meantime..see that 10/12 post of my Morey bottle..similar brew..same effect...that first shot is room temp..the other one has some condensation on it but it shows the haze.

No...I'll do a photo...Mason jar, room temp and chilled...stay tuned...but in the meantime..see that 10/12 post of my Morey bottle..similar brew..same effect...that first shot is room temp..the other one has some condensation on it but it shows the haze.
If I don't want chill haze, I either lager the beer or fine it. Reinheitsgebot-compliant brewing relies on lagering, other traditions on filtering or fining. Otherwise I live with the haze. Doesn't affect flavor.

If I don't want chill haze, I either lager the beer or fine it. Reinheitsgebot-compliant brewing relies on lagering, other traditions on filtering or fining. Otherwise I live with the haze. Doesn't affect flavor.

Right... but why is the slurry so clear?

20210605_185947.jpg

Last edited:
Right but why is the slurry so clear?

View attachment 16079
I will guess in that all that trub and hop matter helped to naturally fine the beer for you.

I for one don't believe in the clear wort = clear beer not alone that is. I've dumped some Truby worts into the fermentor that have come out surprisingly clear.

Funny, my current West Coast IPA is hazy and thick, and my Hazy IPA is clearing up! Both are set up with floating dip tubes.
Ask me if I care!

I will guess in that all that trub and hop matter helped to naturally fine the beer for you.

I for one don't believe in the clear wort = clear beer not alone that is. I've dumped some Truby worts into the fermentor that have come out surprisingly clear.
Because the beer is clear at that temperature. You look at the slurry and the beer it is suspended in so if the beer is clear, the slurry will appear clear and vice versa.

Yes, this. I dump plenty of trub into my fermenter.

I have found that time, and most importantly, the yeast strain, are the two most important variables that clear my beer...or don’t.

Here we go..left to right..45°F chilled beer with haze...clear beer on slurry also 45°F and 65°F beer

20210606_183519.jpg

Nice lineup, clearly it’s not the beer on the right that is the problem.

In all seriousness, my latest brews seem to have the same issue. Since the flavor is not affected, and I’m not entering any competitions, it’s not really a problem.

In my brewing, I don’t do anything for clarity except exercise patience. My clearest beer ever was one that I left in primary for 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Good illustration of chill haze.

I speculate the extra time on the yeast, combined with small volume, is the factor.

My last Pilsner came out hazy as a hefe and my last saison came out crystal clear so I clearly have no idea what is going on these days. Black magic.

Back