Chest freezer failure

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced failure of a temperature controlled freezer? My dad had a concern that without power, the oil wouldn't stay warm. One of my ferm chambers sounds like it's struggling to run now. This is a new issue on a 6 month old Haier freezer. It's a little warm now, too. Set to 1.1°C, but it's at 2.5°. Hopefully it'll be covered by warranty. If I have to buy a new one, it'll be the same brand as my other one.

I've been reading around on the internet and one of the problems that arises is that if the compressor starts and stops too often, it can cause it to fail. Digital controllers have a delay function that won't allow power to the compressor for a certain amount of time and that's supposed to protect it from undue stress. Don't know how the analog units handle that.

Mine has that delay circuit. I use an STC-1000

you can test the start capacitor relay, Ive seen many you tube videos on how, theirs and after market product for $20 that will fix both, I recommend that, the manufacturer brand coil is about $80 and the relay is $20

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
you can test the start capacitor relay, Ive seen many you tube videos on how, theirs and after market product for $20 that will fix both, I recommend that, the manufacturer brand coil is about $80 and the relay is $20
That's probably the problem, when I think about it. Be sure the settings/jumpers are set properly. Most of those controllers have the capability of supplying the relay or low voltage for various functions. If it's not set properly, you may damage the compressor start capacitor. Be sure the freezer will run and cool without the controller and then check the settings and jumpers.

External temperature controllers work by cutting off the power altogether, as you know. If some circuits of the freezer depend on having uninterrupted power, that's a problem. The point of my thread is to find out if some people do experience freezer failure over a short period of time when using an external temperature controller. And if so, what brands are more susceptible than others. I have 3 freezers. One is a 10 cf. the other 2 are 5 cf. I think I have 3 different brands. Yes, I'm aware multiple brands can come off of the same assembly line. That's not the point of my thread.

mine is a diy stc-1000 controller and my freezer has never failed, mine is a 120v f and use for cool setting only

According to my theory, the type of temperature controller is irrelevant. My theory (or question) is more about the freezer itself. If they are designed to have a need always to have the compressor oil warm enough, for example, then killing the power to the entire freezer could be harmful. I know lots of people use temperature controllers like we do. If it can be a concern, I bet someone here knows.

the issue is really how fast it turns off and on, mine stays on longer than you would think and I use air for my probe not water

I use a well in the wort, so I would guess mine runs longer than yours. It's only 15 months old. At any rate, it seems to be cooling to temp right now. Hopefully it's a fluke.

Back