Cheers from Cleveland, OH

Sitting at 1.011. Took a little sip. Still very green. Needs time and more hops. Gonna do the second round tomorrow. Will re-evaluate next week.
looks spot on

9 days in. Temperature and gravity have flatlined. Thinking about kegging next Monday/Tuesday. What's the thoughts on cold crashing a hazy? Should I do that or skip?

Edit: So I'm finding some other threads where people are saying they are cold crashing their hazy/NEIPAs. Seems like 2 days at 33-34˚ is about what I'm seeing. So I don't get air and gunk sucked through the airlock, should I just remove the airlock and plug it or what are other recommendations?

Last edited:
Personally, I DO NOT cold crash NEIPA
I DO reduce to serving temperature for a day before kegging though just to keep sediment in the keg to a minimum.

What temp do you go down to? Would it be better to reduce temp in the keg itself since I can purge that of oxygen? I'm trying to figure out the best option for the airlock.

Crashing is mostly to help clear up the beer, and clearing up a hazy is kinda counterproductive. But it will still be hazy...

If you plug up the airlock hole, how will the beer get out? Eventually you'll have to let in air to break the vacuum. Ideal would be to allow CO2 in, instead, but if air is all you got...

What temp do you go down to? Would it be better to reduce temp in the keg itself since I can purge that of oxygen? I'm trying to figure out the best option for the airlock.
You can definitely just go ahead and keg it.
I have the ability to pressurize my fermenter, so that is how I deal keeping o2 out when the beer contracts with cooling.

That was kind of my thought too. Essentially it would be cold-ish crashing while in the keg. That way I can just gravity feed it into a CO2 layer filled keg to avoid any more oxygen. I figure it'll need a week or two to carb at 10-12psi so just let it settle while it waits.

I've seen people say both ways for an NEIPA so I wasn't sure what to do. I wasn't sure if that left over hop junk and yeast would give the beer a gritty mouth feel.

That was kind of my thought too. Essentially it would be cold-ish crashing while in the keg. That way I can just gravity feed it into a CO2 layer filled keg to avoid any more oxygen. I figure it'll need a week or two to carb at 10-12psi so just let it settle while it waits.

I've seen people say both ways for an NEIPA so I wasn't sure what to do. I wasn't sure if that left over hop junk and yeast would give the beer a gritty mouth feel.
It should be fine, as mentioned I only reduce to serving temperature for a day before kegging.
A day after kegging and being in your keg fridge anything that is going to drop out of the beer should have dropped.
When you first put it in the keg fridge hit it with 30 or 35 PSI for 24 to 30 hours, then reduce to serving pressure.
Should be close to fully carbed at that point.
Fresher is better with this style

Sounds like a plan. Appreciate the response.

One more question. Probably dumb, but I’ve never done this before. At what point do I know to keg? Temp and gravity have leveled off for the last 3-4 days. It’s been 9 days since I brewed. I’m going out of town this weekend but was thinking it should be ready to be kegged possibly Monday.

Sounds like a plan. Appreciate the response.

One more question. Probably dumb, but I’ve never done this before. At what point do I know to keg? Temp and gravity have leveled off for the last 3-4 days. It’s been 9 days since I brewed. I’m going out of town this weekend but was thinking it should be ready to be kegged possibly Monday.
It is ready now, 3-4 days of flat gravity, but can wait weeks in the fermenter if necessary.

It is ready now, 3-4 days of flat gravity, but can wait weeks in the fermenter if necessary.
Sounds good. I’ll give it a few more days since I’m going out of town. Then I’ll just keg it and get it rocking.

Call me dumb, stupid, impatient, but I think this thing is ready to keg now. It's been at FG for the last 4-5 days. Thinking about sampling it when I get home and seeing how the taste is. Maybe going ahead and kegging and then let it cold crash in the keg for 2 days then carbonating at 12psi while I'm gone out of town and giving it 7-8 days at a steady carb level. In theory, it would be ready for next Saturday, May 11th.

IMG_1493.jpeg
Goodnight sweet prince.

Almost had a catastrophe. There was so much shit at the bottom that it clogged the spout. Had to siphon it into the keg. Learning lesson. Smelled amazing.

Should I run off a pint or two in a couple days to get some of the settling shit out?

If there is any hop debris in the keg it is possible that it could block your out post on the keg.
I've been there...
If this happens, you may just need to remove, rinse and replace it a few times to clear it out.
If that is the case, just make sure to sanitize each time.
Try not to move the keg around so it doesn't stir things up once it is running smoothly.

Back