Cheers from Cleveland, OH

I was thinking more along the lines of 3 weeks as well but I wanted to ask people I know. I figured 7-10 days for fermentation and 11-14 for secondary dry hopping. I'm going to be putting this into a corny keg. I've read it's better to do, forgive me if I'm off going off memory, but 10-12psi for like 2 weeks.

This is my plan. My buddy has a Founders IPA clone kit he's going to give me to try on my own.

Friend is coming in Saturday afternoon and we're getting into my first brew. Yeast and hops are in the fridge. Grains are all ready. Tilt and Raspberry Pi are all set up and ready to rock. I've input my recipe into my Grainfather app so we should be good to go there. Beyond excited to get boots on the ground and get rocking on this.

I was reading over the recipe sheet from Northern Brew and the way I'm reading it, it sounds like 14 days primary fermentation with first round of DH after 2-3 days and then another round of secondary fermentation at 14 days with second round of DH 5-7 days before ending. is 28 days normal for a NEIPA DDH? I'm not planning to move the second round to a secondary fermentor. Just going to keep it in the same fermentor. Then as best as I have read/watched, roughly another 14 days for carbonation. Does this sound right?

Edit: here is the link to the brew instructions: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...FruitBazooka-15276041664971-1603737958078.pdf
Uhhh, I don't want to argue with those instructions, and yes, you understand them correctly.

But I suspect you will have stable gravity on Day 4-5, meaning primary fermentation is done, so after an equal amount of time (4-5 days perhaps) your diacetyl rest is finished and the beer can be packaged.

OK, it won't hurt to stretch that to 14 days... but 28 days seems... long. Longer than necessary, imho. I have never had an ale go longer than 10-12 days.

Your Tilt will tell you when gravity is stable. Don't believe the number it gives you, but believe that it isn't changing. At that point, it is half done. Dry hop it the second time, wait the equal time, then bottle it.

That's my opinion. It is worthless, but you got it for free anyway. Let us know how it turns out!

Uhhh, I don't want to argue with those instructions, and yes, you understand them correctly.

But I suspect you will have stable gravity on Day 4-5, meaning primary fermentation is done, so after an equal amount of time (4-5 days perhaps) your diacetyl rest is finished and the beer can be packaged.

OK, it won't hurt to stretch that to 14 days... but 28 days seems... long. Longer than necessary, imho. I have never had an ale go longer than 10-12 days.

Your Tilt will tell you when gravity is stable. Don't believe the number it gives you, but believe that it isn't changing. At that point, it is half done. Dry hop it the second time, wait the equal time, then bottle it.

That's my opinion. It is worthless, but you got it for free anyway. Let us know how it turns out!
I appreciate all the feedback and advice I can get. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t crazy.

Do any of you guys force carbonate? Is it worth it over taking a lower psi/longer time? I was reading about the 24 hour method and then leaving for an additional 2-3 days.

Do any of you guys force carbonate? Is it worth it over taking a lower psi/longer time? I was reading about the 24 hour method and then leaving for an additional 2-3 days.
I've just started kegging and had the same question. I found websites that discuss different methods of force carbonating beer (Brewcrafter Burst Carbonation & Brulosophy Carbonation Methods ) but I don't remember finding anything listing a qualitative difference between the 3 force carbonation methods (Set & Forget, Burst, Crank & Shake). So I guess it really comes down to how much time you have before you want to be drinking the beer.

Once in the keg you could hit it with 35 PSI for 24-30 hours, vent and reset to serving pressure.
If it isn't fully carbonated at that point it won't take long to get there.
Glad you are kegging, bottling NEIPA doesn't often go well (oxidization).

I see yeast options in the recipe, what yeast are you using?

Once in the keg you could hit it with 35 PSI for 24-30 hours, vent and reset to serving pressure.
If it isn't fully carbonated at that point it won't take long to get there.
Glad you are kegging, bottling NEIPA doesn't often go well (oxidization).

I see yeast options in the recipe, what yeast are you using?
That was the method I saw as well. 35psi for 24 hours then lower to 10-12psi and let sit for 2-3 days.

I'm using Wyeast 1318 London Ale III yeast.

Good yeast choice
Could I offer some more tips on brewing NEIPA?

Don't use any finings like whilfloc, or irish moss
Don't do a cold crash, but if you can, reduce to serving temperature for 24 hours before kegging (keeps unnecessary gunk out of the keg).
Do, thoroughly purge your keg with Co2, you could fill your keg with starsan right to very top, then use Co2 to push it out, the little bit left in the keg will be fine.
If you treat your water you want to have a chloride to sulfate ratio of between 2:1 and 3:1
Oxygen post fermentation is the enemy of this style, which is why it is a tricky style to bottle.
Not enough hops in that recipe in my opinion, but whatever you add, make one addition as fermentation is winding down, that way the effect of any O2 being introduced should not be an issue. I would add 6-8 ounces for one dry addition myself, but it is your beer.
Hope this helps!

That is what I do: 35-40 psi for a day or so, then normal pressure (10-18 sh) a couple of days.

I've been wondering:
Would carbonation go faster if you pipe in the CO2 via the beer dip tube?
Like a soda streamer does?
It will stir up the beer obviously

Have it stored in the dog shower. Was checking the Tilt this morning and wondering why the temperature wasn't getting warmer then realized I turned the heat off in the house because it was 70s last week but dropped to 40s the last couple days and the house was only at 64˚. Turned the heat back on to 70˚. Should be ok I would assume. The Kegerator I bought says it goes up to 80˚ but never got above outside temperature when I set it.

OG for my beer was 1.069. Higher than I anticipated. Planning my first round of dry hopping Wednesday.

I've been wondering:
Would carbonation go faster if you pipe in the CO2 via the beer dip tube?
Like a soda streamer does?
It will stir up the beer obviously
Have it stored in the dog shower. Was checking the Tilt this morning and wondering why the temperature wasn't getting warmer then realized I turned the heat off in the house because it was 70s last week but dropped to 40s the last couple days and the house was only at 64˚. Turned the heat back on to 70˚. Should be ok I would assume. The Kegerator I bought says it goes up to 80˚ but never got above outside temperature when I set it.

OG for my beer was 1.069. Higher than I anticipated. Planning my first round of dry hopping Wednesday.
Use the tilt to figure timing. Let it drop to maybe 1.040 or 1.030 then drop the hops. (About 10 points before FG, or when the curve just starts to flatten out)

It is also a practice to increase the fermenter temperature 4-5 F for an ale at the same time. This helps the tired yeasties get a little more energy. To finish off the sugars and start to eat the diacetyl.

It's up to 71˚ now and it is really popping. Some came up through the airlock. Beautiful color. Had the house thermostat set to 70˚. Turned it down to 68˚. By next weekend it's going to be in the 70s here so I will turn it off but it should be good by then.

Started at 1.069 and currently sitting at 1.042/43. 1.015 was the estimated FG but my SG came in higher than anticipated so not sure where it'll finish at.

IMG_1431.jpeg

That does look vigorous indeed ;)

Back