Canning

PeteKap

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have bottled before with priming sugar and everything came out fine. My question is can I do the same thing with cans?? I am fortunate enough to have gotten a canning machine ( single can ) and wanted to know if I can just add the priming sugar right before I can as I would with bottles?

Hello all, I have bottled before with priming sugar and everything came out fine. My question is can I do the same thing with cans?? I am fortunate enough to have gotten a canning machine ( single can ) and wanted to know if I can just add the priming sugar right before I can as I would with bottles?

I would assume so. After all it's just a different sealed container that can hold pressure.

Yep, you can. You should check the batch occasionally to see if there's any stretching or the lid leaking, in case you overcarbonated. We've got a brewery here who condition one of their beers in a can, though it's the only commercial brewery I've heard that do it.

Check out Harrybrew69 on the tube he can conditions.

You can try it but I've heard of a lot of failures and few, if any, real successes. Canning is typically done with carbonated beer from a keg with some sort of filler set-up. Doesn't have to be anything more fancy than a growler tube.
Give it a try but I think you'll find that the real value in canning lies in packaging kegged beer.

You can try it but I've heard of a lot of failures and few, if any, real successes. Canning is typically done with carbonated beer from a keg with some sort of filler set-up. Doesn't have to be anything more fancy than a growler tube.
Give it a try but I think you'll find that the real value in canning lies in packaging kegged beer.
I keep pointing out to the wife how cheap canning has become and this would be my number one use case. I'd still bottle the sours and saisons.

She's not coming at it though, even though all her brews are kegged. I suppose I should stop doing the growler/PET bottle fills when we take her beer to friends. Maybe that'll help her focus.

I keep pointing out to the wife how cheap canning has become and this would be my number one use case. I'd still bottle the sours and saisons.

She's not coming at it though, even though all her brews are kegged. I suppose I should stop doing the growler/PET bottle fills when we take her beer to friends. Maybe that'll help her focus.
It should work, with potential problems as mentioned above. Anything that contains the carbonation refermentation will force the beer to carbonate. I see two possible issues: The can, particularly the seam, may not hold the pressure and the bottle-conditioning crud may swirl up more than in a bottle.

Your experience with this should be interesting. No advise on the wife front.

The reason harry up there can conditions is his Automated can filler foams from carbonated beer easier to get a precise fill from uncared beer. I'm sure he batch primes when he cans.

The reason harry up there can conditions is his Automated can filler foams from carbonated beer easier to get a precise fill from uncared beer. I'm sure he batch primes when he cans.

One thing I would say there is that the colder it gets the better the (carbonated) beer behaves. My buddy runs a massive bottling line and those carbonate at bottling so a different concept, but he did tell me that the colder I can get the beer the easier it will be to bottle and it is. My kegs go in the fridge now the day before bottling and get down to around 2 degrees, much less foam and fuss at that temp.

the colder I can get the beer the easier it will be to bottle and it is.
Yes, it has to be dead cold for cans. Right at freezing for best results. Also helps if the hose is long and coiled inside the fridge if you're using a beer gun. If the cans are chilled to near freezing, it's a plus. Pressure is a key. Getting just enough pressure to hold the CO2 in suspension and deliver a decent flow to the tap, beer gun or filler head without pushing any extra gas that will foam up is tricky.I always overcarb slightly in anticipation of filling, too. That helps overcome the inevitable loss of CO2.

One thing I would say there is that the colder it gets the better the (carbonated) beer behaves. My buddy runs a massive bottling line and those carbonate at bottling so a different concept, but he did tell me that the colder I can get the beer the easier it will be to bottle and it is. My kegs go in the fridge now the day before bottling and get down to around 2 degrees, much less foam and fuss at that temp.
I'm sure he also bottles straight off the fermentor watching that clip linked above he fills sanke kegs which he puts the priming solution in before filling this mixes the primer then he pushes the uncarbed primed beer through his Semi Automated Canning machine.
He cans three at a time has an automated filling rig. Made it all himself with help from tech minded people on line.

All I can say is after investing a very large amount in canner and cans, I'd be completely disappointed if all I could count on was a cloudy mess of yeast trub every time I poured a can into a glass. And if I bought a can of craft beer and got that, I'd be disappointed, too. Investing in pro-level technology just to use the same homebrew-level process and end up with an end product that isn't better for the investment is just foolish, in my opinion.

All I can say is after investing a very large amount in canner and cans, I'd be completely disappointed if all I could count on was a cloudy mess of yeast trub every time I poured a can into a glass. And if I bought a can of craft beer and got that, I'd be disappointed, too. Investing in pro-level technology just to use the same homebrew-level process and end up with an end product that isn't better for the investment is just foolish, in my opinion.
Each to their own I say JA. From what I've seen of his "Vacant Gesture" "Best Bitter" Plum Porter ect even Kolsch is they look to be a Quality product and some quite clear.

With Covid locking the pubs down over there in UK this is his only income revenue and set it all up on his own back. If I were closer I'd be putting my orders in for his Proof of Concept and Vacant Gesture;) .

Last edited:
Reactions: J A
Each to their own I say JA. From what I've seen of his "Vacant Gesture" "Best Bitter" Plum Porter ect even Kolsch is they look to be a Quality product and some quite clear.
More power to him. Most small breweries just can off the tap with a growler tube and sell beer to go that way. It's been a life-line for small breweries here. But they're missing their highest-margin sales right down the line. Profit per barrel of packaged beer as opposed to on-sight consumption is probably half or less. Tough business to be in these days.

More power to him. Most small breweries just can off the tap with a growler tube and sell beer to go that way. It's been a life-line for small breweries here. But they're missing their highest-margin sales right down the line. Profit per barrel of packaged beer as opposed to on-sight consumption is probably half or less. Tough business to be in these days.
Since the highest profit is always pints across the bar, they're hurting. Any business involving direct service is tough right now.

Reactions: J A

Back