California Common - Low Alcohol

I've been playing around with 3.2% beers. To compensate for the lack of body I've been mashing at 158 and adding loads of specialty grains.

I think it is definitely worth trying.

One thing is the mash temp of 145. I would do it at 150 for a dry beer. You might also consider mashing at 158 to give the beer more body.

I realize this might be unorthodox but I've made very good low alcohol beer with normal 1.055 grain bill to start, just pull it out early then filter heavy, worked great for my daughters wedding , didn't want everyone drunk lol

I like the idea of low A.B.V dark brews and giving the body a boost seems like a great idea to me. I brewed a low A.B.V :- A.P.A today. Should be around 3.6 when done, and only moderately hopped 35-36 I.B.U's. My favorite beers are considered low A.B.V here in the States - English Bitter. Kiwi

PS to Larry, love your man cave and brewery! That's a trip!

kiwi Bruce said:
PS to Larry, love your man cave and brewery! That's a trip!

Hey thanks! It is nice to have all the brewing stuff out of the house in a dedicated spot.

If you like dark, low ABV beers, this is one I have on tap right now. It is good, nice and creamy, a bit thin, with hints of molasses. Could be tweaked to your taste.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... nnered-ale

I used Wyeast - Whitbread Ale 1099, and added 4 oz Maltodextrin. I'd probably skip the Maltodextrin next time.

looked at the recipe you had up, Larry. Does the hand full of Chocolate pull the flavor toward the Porter side?

To QHB, your post is right-on. Went back and looked at Dave Lines old brews and his bitters were all 3.0-3.5 Kiwi

thanks
I have 3 grains I love for dark beers, German - Carafa I, United Kingdom - Chocolate, Belgian - De-Bittered Black.
while giving a roasted or Chocolate taste they don't thicken the beer, too much of these and it over powers the flavor, you would need something else to thicken the mouth feel for a porter like beer

at the same time an almost magical grain I fell in love with is American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt), make any thin light 3% beer with a high ibu and add this and it seems to be the same mouth feel of a 5% beer and could be a great common bitter

I use good Ol' maltodextrin with my extract brews. The Cara pils malt sounds great for a low ABV all grain brew. Thanks

Personally, I would cut out the crystal 20. it seems that there is a very heavy hand of crystal malts in this recipe and it could lead to it being a little too caramelly. but i love the idea of low ABV. other than that, I'd say it looks great. However, it could be awesome the way you're doing it too if like it on the sweeter side.

Back