Bulk Primed for the first time...

mckinlay6

Trial Member
Reaction score
So last night I bulk primed for the first time after reading about the how-to on here. All went well I thought but I have just realised that I racked the beer to my secondary and then added the sugar syrup... Not the other way around which seems to be the preferred method...

Will this impact carbonation too much? I did give it a small stir with a sanitized spoon after added the sugar syrup.

TIA.

Most likely fine. The syrup will settle to the bottom but if you poured it in slowly and stirred it, it should be okay. You'll know if you have uneven carbonation from bottle to bottle.

So last night I bulk primed for the first time after reading about the how-to on here. All went well I thought but I have just realised that I racked the beer to my secondary and then added the sugar syrup... Not the other way around which seems to be the preferred method...

Will this impact carbonation too much? I did give it a small stir with a sanitized spoon after added the sugar syrup.

TIA.
Won't hurt a thing as long as you mixed the syrup in.

Yeah as long as it didn't all condense on the bottom you're fine. Which you should have noticed if there was a thick sludge of syrup on the bottom after bottling.

Sugar is so soluble in water that if it's mixed in, it won't stratify so as Hawkbox said, if it weren't mixed, you'd notice syrup on the bottom after packaging. I batch prime and stir pretty vigorously but then I purge everything with CO2 before filling. So all I'd stir in would be CO2. It's air you're worried about when mixing in your priming sugar, although the yeast in bottle-conditioned beer do a good job of scavenging the oxygen in the beer.

Sugar is so soluble in water that if it's mixed in, it won't stratify so as Hawkbox said, if it weren't mixed, you'd notice syrup on the bottom after packaging. I batch prime and stir pretty vigorously but then I purge everything with CO2 before filling. So all I'd stir in would be CO2. It's air you're worried about when mixing in your priming sugar, although the yeast in bottle-conditioned beer do a good job of scavenging the oxygen in the beer.
Also the oxygen scavenger bottle caps help reduce it as well.

Back