brewing with pineapple

I grow my own Centennial so have been using it quite a bit. No, not with fruit unless you want more tart flavor. Fruit loses its sweetness with fermentation, and Centennial will not complement this. It will bring out a more tart, dry taste. Some spicy or fruity hops would be much better for a balanced beer. A more diverse pallet so to speak? If you want to pucker as with an Angry Orchard then Centennial will work. It's still homebrew. It's still better than...

so, any specific recommendations? It sounds like you're right, something on the spicy spectrum might help balance it out. the Hull Melon didn't bring out enough "happiness." But i certainly think it complimented it well. After some more reading, i think the Hull Melon should half be used at the end of the boil, and the half dry hopping. they recommended dry hopping it to get its fullest. Spicy hops though, that might bring this beer full scale. Sober oliver will do some research tomorrow. Any yeast insights?? This beer tasted rather Saisony, Belgiany,,,

There are lots of hops to choose from to just add a little spicy or floral. Citrus flavored hops would go with the fruit but sounds like might be to much of a match and overpowering the beer. For instance I used Centennial for some of the bittering in the huckleberry and those berries really didn't need any help with the tart. You may consider lactose even.
Saison would clean it up to probably a 1.005ish but leaves it's own floral fruity kind of a farmhouse bite. S-33 will leave a little more, around a 1.012ish and is smother in the finish. It might pair with the pineapple.Depends on what you are looking for in the finish. Any Trappist yeast would leave some fruitiness.
And if the Honey Malt wasn't over powering more would possibly help. The pineapple probably does have a lot of tart to try to balance with. You will know if you get too much. The beer leaves a sweet taste on your pallet.

i added some Galaxy to the recipe, considering Apollo also.

0.25 oz Galaxy Boil 60 min
0.25 oz Galaxy Boil 30 min
0.25 oz Hull Boil 20 min
0.25 oz Hull Boil 1 min
0.50 oz Hull Dry Hop in secondary with pineapples

i think i'll stick with the Wyeast Witbier, looking forward to the next round of this.

Nosybear said:
I rarely suggest this: Take the shortcut. Pineapple extract, my friend, seems to be the answer to your dilemma.

OK, i'm going to cave eventually. Getting pineapple extract is a good option, BUT, how do i know how much extract to add per gallon??

Either believe in the packaging directions or do some tests before bottling. I'd go the latter route.

I made a pineapple pale ale last year. Did my normal 3 weeks in primary then I added 1 lb of fresh pineapple in the secondary and let it sit for about 3 weeks. It came out awesome, but I will definitely use more pineapple next time. Most likely 2 lbs. The flavor was very subdued but it was there. It was a very refreshing beer. Good luck!!

jp_homebrew said:
I made a pineapple pale ale last year. Did my normal 3 weeks in primary then I added 1 lb of fresh pineapple in the secondary and let it sit for about 3 weeks. It came out awesome, but I will definitely use more pineapple next time. Most likely 2 lbs. The flavor was very subdued but it was there. It was a very refreshing beer. Good luck!!

what was your batch size?

i need a little bit of help with amount of Pineapple juice to add in terms of their SG... New plan is to use pineapple juice to bottle with, and along with some priming sugar i assume?

I took gravity readings from a can of Dole Pineapple Chunks, and an Organic glass bottle of 100% squeezed pineapple (delicious).

Organic juice was 1060
Dole canned juice 1056

at this point in time i always use 1oz of priming sugar per gallon. Do i need to forgo the priming sugar?? Or use the priming sugar to supplement the pineapple?

edit: I'm told priming sugar is 1037... Sooooo,,, i could use like .60oz per gallon with the pineapple juice?? i need to do legitimate math, i'm confusing myself.

i'm still confused, but i chatted with the northern brewer, he linked me to an article (https://lifefermented.wordpress.com/201 ... ng-sugars/), and helped me with the calculations, but this method calculates based on grams of sugar per serving size..

So... i usually use 2 oz of priming sugar for 2 gallons of beer. This is 56.7 grams. The pineapple juice has 25g of sugar per 8oz serving size.

So 56.7 divided by 25 = 2.268.... multiply this number by 8 (the serving size), gets me 18.144 oz of juice i'll need to prime with...

Doesn't sound right to me, but i'm not really sure. chirp chirp. Anyone else??

OH. OH OH. i listened to this podcast: http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/e/e/4/ee4fb3b ... 5495814491 ...

and they walked through it and i totally get it. haha, sorry for blowing this up.

OK. in simple english, he disregards gravities, and goes strictly on grams of sugar. which makes sense.

My target is typically 57.5 grams of priming sugar. (2oz, works for 2 gallons). Then take a look at how many grams of sugar are in the priming juice you are using. In my case there is 25 grams of sugars per 8oz serving size.

Now, final question, how many servings do i need to get to 57.5 grams? Simple math time, 57.5g divided by 25g = 2.3 servings. And multiply that number by the serving size = 18.4oz.

i need 18.4 oz of pineapple juice that has a sugar content of 25g per serving.

i've been looking around at recipes for all grain pineapple wheat, and there are a lot of different things about when to add the pineapple.

2.25 Gallon (ending kettle) ... 3 Gallon boil

2.00 lb - American - Pale 2-Row
1.75 lb - American - White Wheat
0.50 lb - Flaked Wheat

0.10oz Eroica at 60min
0.25oz Eroica at 10min
1.00 lb - Pineapple Juice (Boil 10 min)

Wyeast 3463

1.00 lb - Fresh Pineapple (secondary, 12-14 days)

So i'm curious if what I have above is OK for adding pineapple? Searching online have said things like add a pound of pineapple juice to the end of the boil, then pitch yeast, and when racking to secondary add a pound of fresh pineapple. But others have said that the pineapple's acidity can kill or make it hard for the yeast to work due to its acidity, so some people suggest only adding it to the secondary aging. Any tips on this??

How did the beer turn out? Was it successful adding pineapple juice to the boil?

Sorry didn’t go through the whole thread. I used to make a pineapple habanero wit. I puréed one pineapple and added it after fermentation completed for a week or so. Worked amazingly.

I’ve never experienced any of the negatives of working with fruit that people warn of. I normally just purée and add it. Sometimes it’s frozen which apparently is a recommended tactic.

Ha! Just realized this was an old one. Would delete my comment if I could...

Back